Founder in mare..

As for the housing she is stalled with the exception of a sandy not grass turnout. she is getting a second cut timothy mix and safe choice. I I was told to try brewers yeast. It was said to be better than just biotin. It did show a big change in coat and growth of the hoof.

Ah, sandy nongrassed turnout is very good!

How much is she stalled? Horses with hoof problems (well, and horses in general, but *especially* those with hoof problems) generally do best with as close to 24/7 turnout as you can give them. Like, 20-24 hrs a day = good, 6-10 hrs a day = not so good for their feet. That may sound backwards but it is TRUE -- feet become and stay healthy by being used, being moved on, flexing and walking around.

Quote:
As bluerose says, that is more than likely at least *mostly* a trim issue. It happens when there are 'prying' forces on the toe of the hoof... the overall shape and balance of the foot is such that instead of being transmitted mostly up along the horn fibers, too much of the forces of the horse's weight are levering the fibers away from the laminae and underlying foot.

OTOH I would also like to point out that she may also have White Line Disease, which although its cause is still not especially well understood DOES seem to be an actual thing. It is a probably-fungal infection of probably-already-damaged-or-dead laminae that further weakens the attachment of the hoof wall to the inner parts of the foot, and can actually create large voids up in along there. What you describe is fairly classic for WLD. It can start from any cause that damages the laminar attachments, but if it really gets rolling in a foot, I have been told by some pretty good farriers whom I respect that it can become an extra problem in its own right and make it much harder to restore the foot to a normal state than if you *just* had an imbalanced trim, episode of laminitis, whatever.

The treatment of WLD is still somewhat a matter of controversy, but there are people out there who do seem to have good success in returning hooves with WLD to long-term structural soundness, mostly by resecting the damaged part of the hoof in conjunction with a REALLY well balanced trim, sometimes with the application of Various Esoteric Substances as well. It would be something to read up on and perhaps ask whatever farrier/trimmer/whatchacallit you end up with.

The Farrier I had just up and moved to further his education in this field. He had her sound and riding again. Last year he tried something new. Barefoot. So The pads and shoes came off and the sole was too soft. She got a few absess which grew out but her hoof has always detached as it had when I first got her.

It is possible that the sole was too soft just because she'd had pads and shoes on -- a few abcesses are relatively 'normal' when a previously shod horse starts to go barefoot. It can take as much as six months or more for a horse to adjust, more if it lives largely in a stall.

OTOH I personally believe that there are some horses that just DO have a lot of trouble going barefoot, because of inherently poor soles, a 'princess and the pea' low pain tolerance, and/or abcesses that may seem to have resolved but little nuclei of infection chronically lurk in the foot waiting to blow up if bruised etcetera. I don't think this is common but personally I do believe some horses are like that.

The resumption of the hoof prying apart sounds to me like mostly a trim issue.

I expect bluerose will argue with me on this
smile.png
but I would like to advance the argument that while it would be nice if we all had perfect farriers, in reality if the best one you have access to can keep your horse sound in shoes but not sound barefoot, then it is in the horse's best interests to wear shoes for the time being. Period.

And you know, it's not like farriery/trimming/whatchamacallit is entirely science, a mechanical skill that anyone can learn and anyone can be equally good at. I firmly believe that it is as much art as craft, and requires as much intuition and 'sense of the foot' as theory. There are really good guys out there, very sincere and trying their butts off, who are just not quite as gifted at 'tuning feet' as some of their colleagues. Furthermore there are guys (in a gender-inclusive sense) out there who are extremely good at some types of trimming/shoeing, but just not so good at other types of situations. <shrug> Unless you live in an area with a near infinite variety of farriers/trimmers/whatchamacallit, and have a checkbook to match (the expensive ones often stink, IME, but the best ones are seldom 'cheap' as such), you have to kind of roll with what you're dealt.

Good luck,

Pat​

Quote:
Pat, are you trying to get me in trouble or something?
wink.png

Yes... sound in shoes but not barefoot IS a problem BECAUSE the shoe restricts, covers, hides the actual problem. It's like putting a little bandaid on when you have a huge wound. The pain is THERE... the damaging forces are THERE... they are just ignored because the shoe constricts the foot, restricting bloodflow, restricting *feeling* to the foot.

Have you ever seen a horse who was long-term shod in 'tight' shoes walk off barefoot? They aren't always sore- but they are usually completely freaked out because they can actually feel the ground they are walking on... they can feel their feet expand with their weight like the hoof is supposed to! (and many of them have to re-learn how to walk around rocks instead of trip and clatter over them...)

have a checkbook to match (the expensive ones often stink, IME, but the best ones are seldom 'cheap' as such), you have to kind of roll with what you're dealt.

Eggzactly. Guy who screwed up my DWB mare the most was $250 a pop. Gal who was $150 fixed her part of the way, but the trimmer who is $50 a trim has healed her. Other trimmers in the area charge $30-40 per trim, but paying $50 is really worth the expertise.

wink.png

shutting up... REALLY... (ok well maybe)​

Quote:
LOL

Yes... sound in shoes but not barefoot IS a problem BECAUSE the shoe restricts, covers, hides the actual problem. It's like putting a little bandaid on when you have a huge wound. The pain is THERE... the damaging forces are THERE... they are just ignored because the shoe constricts the foot, restricting bloodflow, restricting *feeling* to the foot.

I think you are being pretty extreme here, and overlooking a whole lot of middle-of-the-road cases -- and I know of no good evidence at all for what you're saying (to the degree you're saying it), other than some barefoot trimmers standing up and saying 'sez me'.

What you say is strongly counter to any available evidence I am aware of -- for instance, plenty of thermographic studies have been and I have never ever heard of there being any meaningful difference in average surface temperature between shod and barefoot hooves. Shod hooves are most certainly sensitive to pain (I don't know how you'd really reliably quantify it to compare shod vs barefoot, unfortunately).

And PLENTY of horses out there are just as sound shod as they are barefoot. Like, really honestly JUST as sound, and yes I mean long-term. (I'm talking horses who are shod only because they work hard on very abrasive or pointy surfaces that wear hoof away faster than it grows, or because they are in some discipline such as eventing or jumpers that sometimes requires caulks, which in turn require shoes).

Shoes do NOT normally starve a foot of blood to the extent that it goes numb, even partially. Gee whiz. If shoes did, then how many horses out there would be a whole lot sounder-looking than they are
tongue.png

A shoe does restrict the expansion of the foot somewhat as the horse moves (the extent to which it does so depends a lot on who shod the horse). But, done right (i.e. with nails in just the front half of the hoof, no restrictive clips or just a toe clip, a properly-trimmed foot and a respectably wide-webbed shoe) it does not do that all that *much*. Heck, if it did, you would not have wear between the shoe and hoof, as in fact does occur due to the natural movement of the hoof on the upper surface of the shoe.

THe main reason, IME, that many horses go sounder in shoes than barefoot with a less-than-terrific trim, is that shoes give you a short-term greater margin for error -- they do not mask pain (where is your evidence for that????) they frequently actually do RELIEVE it. By redistributing impact off of structures made tender by poor balance. Unfortunately, as you say, the damaging forces are still there, now with the additional damaging forces caused by the shoeing itself on top of 'em. Eventually, if the foot is out of whack, the sum of it can catch up with a horse and cause more discomfort than the shoes can defuse.

Returning to my original proposition, though, and the original poster's dilemma (or, what her dilemma may possibly boil down to)...

IF a person CANNOT find anyone to balance their horse's feet any better than they are now, and if the horse (when trimmed as best the owner can arrange for it to be trimmed) goes sound in shoes but lame and hooves-breaking-up when barefoot... then, bluerose, are you honestly saying the horse should be left barefoot and chronically lame?????

If you're not saying that, then we actually do agree
smile.png

Pat​

No, I'm saying the horse should be left barefoot and sound.

:p

Plenty of people learn to do it themselves because they have no other ability to help their horses. Not impossible at all.

Pat, when I get home, I will find the study I have that was done on bloodflow in feet, done by Dr. Bowker at MSU. Properly trimmed bare feet had something like 95% bloodflow to the foot- shod was less than 50%, and laminitic was lower than that IIRC.

As I'm sure you know, the less bloodflow, the less feeling...

Quote:
Sure, but what if you can't find someone who can GET the horse barefoot and sound??

As is sometimes genuinely the case.

That is my point. What then.

Plenty of people learn to do it themselves because they have no other ability to help their horses. Not impossible at all.

And, some of those people do just as bad a job as the pros. Although generally with a good bit more smugness and self-delusion about the soundness of their horse
hmm.png
I have *seen* this happen, much more than once.

Sometimes learning to do it yourself is a solution, sometimes it is not.

Pat, when I get home, I will find the study I have that was done on bloodflow in feet, done by Dr. Bowker at MSU. Properly trimmed bare feet had something like 95% bloodflow to the foot- shod was less than 50%, and laminitic was lower than that IIRC.

Please do, I would like to see that!! I certainly don't claim to have read every study on everything that has ever been done, and this IS a very important subject. Looking forward to a citation to look up, and see for myself how the study was done and what it's likely to mean
smile.png

As I'm sure you know, the less bloodflow, the less feeling...

I am not sure that is actually a fully correct proposition, biologically-speaking...? (Like, I am not aware of it being a linear relationship... but this is not a subject I know a whole big lot about)

Enjoying the discussion, btw,

Pat​

ajcress:
Do you get any horse magazines in the mail? Occasionally they will have some information on laminitis... the current Equus (April 2008) has a pretty good article on feeding to reduce the risk of laminitis.

Concerning euthanasia: you'll know if/when it's time. Two months ago I had my mare euthanized - she was a classic "charity case" - born with a crippled hip, which caused her to compensate by throwing most of her weight forward, and she finally foundered at 20 years old in both front feet (she was also developing a lot of arthritis by then, and she lost vision in one eye due to an acute bout of uveitis). When I considered her quality of life, I knew that it was time. She had been barefoot and as sound as she could be for the previous 10 years, but her founder was resultant of her body problems, and sometimes there's nothing you can do to improve their quality of life. But don't give up hope: here's a link to a story that I find inspiring: warning it's a little graphic in pictures - the owner chronicled the pedal bone's penetration through the sole of the hoof, but the horse did recover - http://picasaweb.google.com/jandrinkwater/LucyFounder I found this story through TheHorse.com - you can subscribe for free, and it has lots of info.

Good luck, my thoughts are with you and your horse.
- Keri

edited to say: don't know why my link isn't working... I'll try to fix it!

Last edited:
"Pins and needles" feeling in, say, your leg, is from lack of bloodflow... if you let that feeling go long enough, your leg will go somewhat numb.

It's similar with hooves. Restrict bloodflow, restrict feeling.

smile.png

Quote:
Well obviously, bluerose... but that is, again, a fairly extreme case, where there is *considerable* impairment of circulation (and/or compression of a nerve). I have yet to be convinced that this is typical of a well shod horse.

And I have yet to be convinced that the relationship between circulatory adequacy and pain is linear -- that is, that a relatively small drop in circulation causes a meaningful effect on pain.

Whereas, the mechanical effects of shoeing on how forces are distributed in the foot are unarguable. Shoes QUITE DEFINITELY do cause the foot to experience forces differently, with some forces distributed to different structures than in the barefoot horse. I am not saying this is the best thing, nor necessarily harmless, I am just saying, we KNOW it happens. And we KNOW that if force X on structure Y is causing pain, then if you reduce that force on that structure, it will hurt less (providing the redistribution does not cause greater pain elsewhere, which is where competent shoeing comes into play).

It is certainly possible that there is enough of an effect of shoeing, at least really bad shoeing, on circulation to cause some degree of reduced sensation in some parts of some horses' feet... but I do not think it is reasonable to pretend that is anything like the entirety of what shoes do.

Remember, I am a long time advocate of horses going barefoot (and living outdoors 24/7 whenever possible, as well). I just believe in taking a balanced view of the subject, and not just *assuming* that all shoeing is evil and catastrophic.

Sitting down and shutting up for real, now, (well I hope so <g>), but looking forward to seeing that study,

Pat

Last edited:
There are a lot of opinions out there regarding the barefoot trim, with some extremes on either side which give all of the moderates a bad name. But the bottom line to me is that barefoot hooves are generally healthier. If the mare isn't sound barefoot, and I wouldn't expect her to be for awhile, then boot her. Most horses, if trimmed correctly and managed correctly (diet, movement) can go barefoot just fine and you may be amazed at the change in her. If she's sound while barefoot in her sandy paddock or a riding ring but needs boots for trail riding, then boot her when you ride her out. Nothing wrong with that. Don't go for special shoes, high heels, wedge pads, nerve blocks, etc. Just get her off the high sugar feed (no carrots either) and get the flare taken care of and start working on a nicely balanced foot. (With the flare, every time she steps down it's like prying on your fingernail.) A good trimmer will grow your mare a much better hoof. Please do take the time to study those websites!!!

OK! Study! Sorry it took me so long...

Robert Bowker VMD, PhD
Comparisons of blood flow rate at level of fetlock using Doppler Ultrasound
Peripherally loaded hoof- decreased profusion/increased resistance. Inadequate micro-vasculature circulation.
On pea gravel or foam- same foot has increased profusion/decreased resistance. Better circulation, helps heal any problem.
(Properly trimmed) bare foot- blood flow continues between heartbeats.
Shod foot- blood stops between heartbeats. Blood stays in large diameter blood vessels.
Laminitic foot- blood stops and actually backs up in the blood vessels between heartbeats.

Barefoot horses with exceptional hooves: Percent perfusion of hooves on various surfaces
Chart:
Surface; Percent perfusion
Pea gravel; 90%
Foam pads; 90%
Cement (peripherally loaded); 50-65%
Wood (peripherally loaded); 55-65%
Non-weight bearing; 45-50%

palmar digital nerve block; 45-50%
laminitic hoof; 0% (15min walk in boots/pads dramatically lowers digital pulse)

Not a full study, but it is still quite interesting.
smile.png
Unfortunately I don't have a cite or anything- it's all info from a Pete Ramey clinic and half of it rapidly scribbled down (so I *think* the chart is right but I can't be entirely certain). I bet if you googled 'Robert Bowker' and the title you might find something though.

Also, just noted your comment on WLD: here is what Ramey has to say on it- http://hoofrehab.com/end_of_white_line_disease.htm#Whiteline

Just
for kicks, here's one of his articles on laminitis as well: http://hoofrehab.com/end_of_white_line_disease.htm#laminitis update

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom