Four Drakes & only three hens

Johnlump

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
We are newbies when it comes to ducks but we own 7 we bought them in the spring & now they are at the age where I can tell who the boys are(lol) My concern is we have 4 Drakes & 3 hens , do we need to get another hen or will it all work out. I have already witnessed a skirmish between 2 drakes in the pond.

We are newbies when it comes to ducks but we own 7 we bought them in the spring & now they are at the age where I can tell who the boys are(lol) My concern is we have 4 Drakes & 3 hens , do we need to get another hen or will it all work out. I have already witnessed a skirmish between 2 drakes in the pond.
Skirmishes between drakes is one thing but when you have that many drakes concern about them drowning a female is even worse. Most will say 1 drake to 3 ducks so either your going to have to rehome some of the drakes or add more ducks it's the only way to keep the girls safe from over mating or being drowned when all drakes try to mate her at once, or when fighting breaks out between the drakes which can lead to death. Happened here with our Scovy drakes one killed another. Not something I wish on anyone.

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom