Four very individual hens

Welcome to BYC! I hope your hen fully recovers. :hugs
Thank you! She gets a little stronger everyday :)
Incidentally I have ordered some Calcium Citrate tablets to give her to see if she starts laying again and with viable eggs. I don't think she eats the grit I leave out and her eggs have always been really thin shelled. They often break in the nest box and are then eaten by her or the others - don't know which. Have others had success with these?

Is it actual grit, or oyster shell? Because grit doesn't really have any calcium in it like the oyster shell does.
I have given the hens both over the time I've had them. I know it should be oyster shell and they do get that - but one out of four of my hens has frequently laid thin shelled or 'balloon' eggs while the others that lay have nice hard brown eggs. This is why I think the thin egg layer just isn't taking the grit. This is the hen that was attacked by a dog. She has laid only 3 eggs since that happened over a month ago and they were all broken when I found them - but she has always had a history of broken or thin eggs even before.

I have given the hens both over the time I've had them. I know it should be oyster shell and they do get that - but one out of four of my hens has frequently laid thin shelled or 'balloon' eggs while the others that lay have nice hard brown eggs. This is why I think the thin egg layer just isn't taking the grit. This is the hen that was attacked by a dog. She has laid only 3 eggs since that happened over a month ago and they were all broken when I found them - but she has always had a history of broken or thin eggs even before.
Hopefully the calcium tablets will do the trick :fl

Back
Top Bottom