Fourth "healthy" bird to die:(

Their Corid water should be their only source of drinking water and should be made fresh daily. Since you have the liquid Corid and not the powder, you can give it orally to your sickest birds, that's what I do with mine. It's a very safe product, so it won't hurt them to have it orally and in their water. The oral dose I use is 20mg/kg which is ~.2ml per 2.2 pounds.

Dosing for 9.6% amprolium solution
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for is 9.5ml or 2 teaspoons per gallon. The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for is 4.75ml or 1 teaspoon per gallon.
The .006% dose for Corid is 2 teaspoon per gallon.

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

Last edited:
Okay, I will be sure to disallow free ranging and will just put it in the water font. It's hard to tell who's sick - they all appear perfectly healthy until they aren't!

Okay, I will be sure to disallow free ranging and will just put it in the water font. It's hard to tell who's sick - they all appear perfectly healthy until they aren't!
If you can, get a baseline weight on them and re-weigh them in a week, that will tell you if others are/where sick. Weight loss = sick, large amounts of weight gain = was sick.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Would it be wrong to feed the eggs back to the chickens while they are on Corid/Safeguard? It seems like such a waste to throw all those eggs away.

Of course, since this is an off-label use, the vet/feed store didn't want to tell me what the withdrawal period for us to refrain from eating the eggs. It seems that some peeps on backyard chickens go by 14 days. Does this sound good?

I am researching to lean more about green poops and so far what I am finding is not encouraging. I just read the comment "carportpony" posted on this thread about necropsey resources and preparing a bird to ship it for a necropsey. It was very informative. One of our hens who seems otherwise well, is having gress green poops. When I read her posts I realized that if more people did necropseys and then took the time to reported the findings here on BYC I might be able to effectively treat Elizabeak instead of working through every possibility until she either gets better or dies. I will hope for the best but if she does die I will absolutely make sure she has a necropsey and encourage anyone reading this to learn what the process for this is in their state.

I am researching to lean more about green poops and so far what I am finding is not encouraging. I just read the comment "carportpony" posted on this thread about necropsey resources and preparing a bird to ship it for a necropsey. It was very informative. One of our hens who seems otherwise well, is having gress green poops. When I read her posts I realized that if more people did necropseys and then took the time to reported the findings here on BYC I might be able to effectively treat Elizabeak instead of working through every possibility until she either gets better or dies. I will hope for the best but if she does die I will absolutely make sure she has a necropsey and encourage anyone reading this to learn what the process for this is in their state.

One of the things I do when I have an unknown sickness is treat very aggressively as they are likely to die if I don't, but I start with a very thorough exam which includes a cloacal exam.
big_smile.png
Then the bird gets dusted with 5% Sevin or poultry dust, weighed in grams and lately I've been de-worming with fenbendazole (Safeguard) at 50mg/kg (.5ml per 2.2 pounds) for 5 days to make sure I get any capillary worms that might be present. If green poop are present I will hydrate via tube, then tube feed baby bird food. If green goes away, the green was probably from starvation. Depending on what the poop looks like I might give an antibiotic like Baytril or Metronidazole

• Thorough exam
  • Dust
  • Weigh in grams
  • De-worm with something that gets cecal and capillary worms
  • Tube water
  • Tube food
  • Inspect poop
  • Possibly treat with antibiotics
  • Weigh Daily

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom