Fowl pox in chicks

Kaiyafitness

Chirping
Apr 17, 2021
Hi everyone, about a month ago I had 8 silkie chicks hatch (long story but it was completely unplanned, the mum hid the eggs) whilst there was fowl pox going through my flock. The chicks seemed unaffected for about 2/3 weeks and they were kept isolated from the flock with their mum. About a week and a half ago the appearing lesions on their face and eyes swelling up and closing, so I made the decision to bring them inside in a crate so they all have constant warmth, food and water and I could keep a close eye on them. During this week they have been treated with antibiotics as well as an antibiotic eye ointment. Half the chicks have improved significantly and their eyes are all open with a couple of scabs, however, I have one chick who is almost half the size of the others, both eyes are still fully shut (it has been the worst out of them all), and it is breathing very lethargically and standing up straight when trying to eat, and it’s beak is open as if it’s been wedged open and is choking. It now struggles to eat and drink and I’m extremely concerned . Also note I have hand fed and watered this chick as well as others that were struggling while they’ve been in my care. Please if anyone has any advice if there’s anything I can do to help this specific chick (I know there’s no cure for the virus). I am starting to lose hope that this chick is not going to make it but I have to give it the best chance it’s got.

Thanks In advance

You're doing all you can for the little chick. Since the chick is half the size as the others, struggling to breathe and not eating or drinking on its own; it could possibly have wet pox with small lesions in the mouth, esophagus and/or trachea. If this is the case, she will die.
Even if it isnt wet pox, I'm sorry to say the little chick is probably too weak to survive.

You're doing all you can for the little chick. Since the chick is half the size as the others, struggling to breathe and not eating or drinking on its own; it could possibly have wet pox with small lesions in the mouth, esophagus and/or trachea. If this is the case, she will die.
Even if it isnt wet pox, I'm sorry to say the little chick is probably too weak to survive.
^ ditto.

Back
Top Bottom