Fowl Pox in flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gdonais, Sep 19, 2011.

1. gdonais

gdonais New Egg

Sep 19, 2011
    I have a lovely laying flock that I love and adore. I noticed that they have signs of fowl pox, so I assume. They have scabby things near their eyes and the neighbor has the same thing. Will I have to kill any of my dear hens? I'm new to this site and I feel like I found long lost family members! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

From what I've read many birds survive fowl pox. It could also be fights from their habit of fighting while establishing the pecking order. Check your email, if you have pictures I'll post them for you so others can try to help you. (they'll ask for pics)

3. nizar

nizar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    Fowl Pox
    (Avian Pox, Avian Diphtheria)
    Cause
    Fowl pox is caused by a pox virus.
    Transmission
    Introduction of infected or “carrier” birds in a susceptible flock will cause an outbreak by direct contact and water or feed transmission.
    Mosquitoes and other flying insects can also transmit the virus from bird to bird and also transmit the disease to nearby flocks. The incubation period varies from 4 to 20 days.
    Species, affected
    Chickens, turkeys, pheasants and pigeons can be affected by different fowl pox virus strains.

Mortality
    Mortality is variable, from a low 1 to 2%, when slight head lesions are present, to over 40% when the diphtheritic form (“wet pox”) is more prevalent.
    Reduced egg production can be observed in laying birds,this will return to normal in a few weeks.
    43Diagnosis
    Wart like lesions of the head particularly of the comb and around the eyes or yellow cheesy lesions of the mucous membranes of the nasal and buccal cavities are suggestive of fowl pox. A definitive diagnosis can be made in a diagnostical laboratory by histological examination (inclusion bodies) or virus isolation in embryonated chicken eggs.
    Treatment and control
    It is difficult to treat affected birds. Treatment of local lesions with disinfectant and/or removal of the diphtheritic membranes from the throat to improve respiration has been practised.
    Preventive vaccination using a live vaccine is by far the most succesful control method. Even when an outbreak of fowl pox has been diagnosed, it is advisable to vaccinate the flock
    immediately to stop further spread of the infection.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-diseases-AvianPox.html

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Welcome to BYC.
    No, do not kill your hens. Dry fowl pox is usually caused by mosquitos. It is a virus and will pass in about 3-4 weeks. You can put iodine on the scabs to help dry them and only use antibiotics for secondary infections. Remember that antibiotics are useless against a viral infections. If there's infection close to their eyes...like a scratch, use neosporin, not iodine. The eggs are safe to eat. Hopefully it's only from picking/pecking. Overcrowding can be a cause for picking, or an injury of some sort, boredom, lice/mites...just a few reasons for picking. Good luck.

5. actressbarbie

actressbarbie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2011
    We have been going thru dry pox for a few weeks now. Some are over it and back to normal but my bantams are taking it hard. We have been treating the spots with Betadine although I liked the idea one person had about using Neosporin near the eyes instead. None have died so far. I do recommend putting the affected ones in quarantine to try and keep it from spreading.
    Hang in there!

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    When my flock of 20+ had it last year, I dabbed everyone once with Betadine or neosporin, the latter if near eyes. They acted like nothing was wrong. I did have one develop a somewhat swollen head, probably secondary infection. Had to separate her because the others started attacking her. None developed wet pox. One day about 3 weeks after I noticed it, all the lesions were suddenly gone. This year the only chickens that showed any sign of it were ones that hatched after the illness last year; it is said it gives them lifetime immunity.

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture of mine as she started with her spots. Mine never acted like it bothered them.
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by