Fowl Pox? Or something else?

BachPirate

Chirping
Apr 20, 2020
All five of our adult chickens have some form of small black spots on their combs. The pea comb girls much less evident. Been there for a week or two and there haven't been any mosquitos. Curious what this is and what to do about it. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20201209_185341800.jpg
    PXL_20201209_185341800.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20201209_185332560.jpg
    PXL_20201209_185332560.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 13
All five of our adult chickens have some form of small black spots on their combs. The pea comb girls much less evident. Been there for a week or two and there haven't been any mosquitos. Curious what this is and what to do about it. Any help is appreciated.
Looks like peck wounds or injury. Any changes within the flock (additions/subtractions) or their environment? Normally, I don't do anything for minor scabs.
How much space do you have?

Looks like peck wounds or injury. Any changes within the flock (additions/subtractions) or their environment? Normally, I don't do anything for minor scabs.
How much space do you have?
They free range on 10 acres so it shouldn't be a space issues. We do have 9 17 week olds that were added but they've been together for almost 8 weeks now. The older 5 (34 weeks) seem to pick on the younger ones more than each other or the other way around though and the younger ones don't have the black spots.

I agree that the dried blood are peck wounds.
Do you add additional white light to the coop at night so that they ladies keep laying? (depending on your location)
I'm located in Colorado and don't add additional light. I personally like to let their little bodies do what they need to do, but only one of them has stopped laying.

I'm located in Colorado and don't add additional light. I personally like to let their little bodies do what they need to do, but only one of them has stopped laying.
I do the same. I was just trying to figure out when the most pecking was happening. Sometimes the reason is the ram tea light added during the roosting time.

They free range on 10 acres so it shouldn't be a space issues. We do have 9 17 week olds that were added but they've been together for almost 8 weeks now. The older 5 (34 weeks) seem to pick on the younger ones more than each other or the other way around though and the younger ones don't have the black spots.
Where do they sleep? Roost time can be brutal and that is when most pecking injuries originate.

Where do they sleep? Roost time can be brutal and that is when most pecking injuries originate.
They sleep in their coop. Plenty of roost space but the younger ones go in there much earlier and settle in well before the older ladies so that could definitely make sense. I also don't typically have eyes on them at that time. I'm just glad it looks like it's from pecking and not something viral. I appreciate the ideas!

Back
Top Bottom