Fowl pox or something else?

Kendallvb

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2021
Hello,

I’ve had a chicken separated with what I believed were dry fowl pox for the past 4 weeks.

There has been no progression. She has continued laying eggs, and she has otherwise seemed quite happy and energetic.

The only other symptom is an excess calcium buildup on her eggs which started around the same time.

Does this look like fowl pox to you? Should I continue waiting with her in jail?

Pictures attached. Thank you!

Attachments

• 0E0D19C8-9449-49FA-9F22-3625242BB8CF.jpeg
    0E0D19C8-9449-49FA-9F22-3625242BB8CF.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 36
  • 1771FEDE-29D4-45CB-8285-3BDF79AC4921.jpeg
    1771FEDE-29D4-45CB-8285-3BDF79AC4921.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 25
  • BA6B3E78-E058-4F6B-BE26-F6CD9582AC3E.jpeg
    BA6B3E78-E058-4F6B-BE26-F6CD9582AC3E.jpeg
    529.1 KB · Views: 25
The comb could be healing dry fowl pox. The bumps on the eggs is calcium deposits, and not uncommon. Does she have any pox scabs on her face, earlobes, or wattles? Pox virus lasts around a month to 6 weeks, and requires no treatment.

Hello,

I’ve had a chicken separated with what I believed were dry fowl pox for the past 4 weeks.

There has been no progression. She has continued laying eggs, and she has otherwise seemed quite happy and energetic.

The only other symptom is an excess calcium buildup on her eggs which started around the same time.

Does this look like fowl pox to you? Should I continue waiting with her in jail?

Pictures attached. Thank you!
If it is you should have kept her with all the others so they could get it. If they did they would be immune for life. I welcome fowl pox it usually hits in Aug if it's gonna to the young ones then they're done for life

The comb could be healing dry fowl pox. The bumps on the eggs is calcium deposits, and not uncommon. Does she have any pox scabs on her face, earlobes, or wattles? Pox virus lasts around a month to 6 weeks, and requires no treatment.
Thanks for your quick reply. No other pox scabs that I can see. I guess I’m just getting antsy for it to get worse or better.

If it is you should have kept her with all the others so they could get it. If they did they would be immune for life. I welcome fowl pox it usually hits in Aug if it's gonna to the young ones then they're done for life
I really considered it but was worried they’d all be pecking each other’s scabs off. Maybe I will take that route next time.

Back
Top Bottom