Fowl Pox part 2

Quote:
You may have to have someone help you hold the chicken so you can look into their mouths but that is only if you suspect wet pox.
I have Bantams so mine are easy to handle by one person and i don't routinely check their mouths i discovered the wet pox after mine had come down with the dry form.

Mine started out as Dry pox and i had got info from the web on how fowl pox could turn into Wet pox.

The first to come down with the wet was a rooster and i noticed his breathing was labored and his mouth was slightly open so i checked him and found a Large Mass in his throat.
My removing them and using the iodine for swabbing was strictly experimental on my part because i was told there was nothing i could do.

I refused to watch my chickens die from this and so i set forth to cure them myself so i thought if iodine healed the Dry pox then it only stood to reason it would heal the wet.
I opened their mouths then used a Q'tip to remove the masses and then swab their mouths and throats really well.
The procedure was traumatic for both the chicken and me but if they were to survive i had to do something to see if i could stop the growths.
I had to stop and let the chicken catch it's breath and recover several times during the procedure because not only were they in shock from the procedure they were also in pain.

To my wonderful surprise it worked and worked well the growth's did return but were smaller each day it took about a week for them to completely disapper
The chickens would begin drinking the same day as i did the procedure and eating by the next day.

The 6 chickens i lost were young ones the pox was just too much for them and a couple died within 24 hours of getting it because these lesion can grow fast.

I isolated some of the ones that had not gotten either the dry or wet and it seemed to work so don't hesitate to isolate the well ones away from the infected ones.

In the end after a month of trying to get it under control i chose to vaccinate the remaining 50 chickens to stop the spread.
It started in October and i treated the last case of Dry pox in early December and those were the longest months i have ever had to deal with anything in the 8 years i have had chickens.

I wanted to say also some have said to use antibiotics during the wet pox i did not do this as the chickens systems were already under enough stress from the pox and lesions and i personally didn't feel the antibiotics were necessary.
Mine never suffered any infections or ill effects from the wet pox or dry after the throat lesions and dry pox healed.

Hope this helps if there is something i missed or something you don't understand please let me know and
hugs.gif
i know how hard this is

Yes, from what I understand, the critical thing with wet pox is to try to keep the esophagus and trachea from being blocked so the bird can still eat and breathe (the last one obviously more critical). A bird can go a little while without nourishment, but not without air. You must have done a great job nursing your birds through this awful disease.

Our roo is still alive this morning and eating a bit. We've still got a long way to go to be out of the woods, but still I'm encouraged. I was sure yesterday he was a goner.

I have the two hens who seem sickest isolated at home from the other two who seem to be doing better (they all have dry pox, though). I made a mash with Kaytee Exact formula and Pedialyte, and tried to coax the hens to take some nourishment. One ate a little, the other a little more. I'll try again in about an hour. These two are still pooping some, though, so that's a good sign they are still processing food in their systems. No signs of wet pox yet, but it could show in a day or so.

The other two are still acting more like normal chickens, but I'm really afraid that they'll be hit by a second wave of wet pox like my rooster. I know it is likely to take weeks before I can see the end of this tunnel. It's very hard.

Elmo, I'm so glad to read that your roo is still alive and he's eating today!

I understand how hard this must be for you. I have 5 that I hand-raised this summer from day old chicks, too; it would be devastating to lose one. There's only one with a little black spot on her comb. I was wondering if it was Pox, but now I don't think so based on the pictures here. Still, I'm learning all I can about this, just in case it breaks out.

Thanks, Feathered Wings, for the details on how you took care of them!

Quote:
I feel your pain
hugs.gif

I know all too well how you feel and let me tell you i cried alot and just broke down when my one little roo i found dead in his cage.
There was a point where i felt as if "it" was winning and it seemed like forever but i kept going my little chickens depended on me.

That is good your hens are still eating that is a very good sign.

You are in my thoughts and prayers and hoping everything go's smoothly and your chickens will be back to their old selves soon
hugs.gif

Feathersnuggles You are very welcome i do whatever i can when i see someone with this because i know how hard it is to deal with.

Not only the actual taking care of them but to see them in this condition.

I'm willing to go that extra mile if i can tell anyone something i did or didn't do that will help them I will do it because i have been there and i know how they feel.

Thank you so much for your kind words of support. It means a lot to me.

Well, everyone is settled in for the night tonight. The two sickest hens are in the winter coop. The two healthier hens are in a cage in the garage because I didn't want to leave them out in the summer coop (it only has three partial sides, and it's supposed to be cooler tonight). The roo is still at the vet. We checked in with them late this afternoon and they reported he's still doing ok.

I am beginning to wonder, though, whether I'm misreading the behavior of the two hens I think are the sick ones. All they want to do all day for the second day in a row now is sit in the nest box together. When I opened up the coop door to check on them, they both scooted out like white lightning and headed for the nearest nestbox. I had the darndest time getting them back into the coop; they were very lively!

They finished a small dish of breadcrumbs mixed with a little olive oil, honey and Pedialite, and they both gobbled down a dozen mealworms each. I put a nestbox back in the coop to see if one of them maybe wanted to lay an egg, and they both went in there together. They do that puffing up and hissing thing when I look in at them.

I'm wondering if they're actually more broody than sick? Of course they're all poxy and everything on their combs and wattles, but when my first bird was sick with pox she didn't sit in the nestbox, she roosted all fluffed up. One of these hens laid this morning, and the other one laid yesterday.

Time will tell, I guess.

elmo sounds like you may have some broody hens they will hiss and puff up when they go broody and will hug the nest and not want to come off.

The Dry Pox generally doesn't effect them at all mine that just had the Dry never even acted like anything was wrong.
Just went about their day as if nothing was going on
smile.png

I still put the iodine on their dry pox as i just didn't want the pox spreading and possibly getting on their eyes.

Still sending good vibes and prayers for the roo I'm sure he is going to be just fine
hugs.gif

I have three Welsummer roos who currently have wet pox. After reading this thread and a few others I decided to treat them using Iodine on the outside sores and swabbing their mouth and throat with listerine, removing the growths, and then swabbing with Iodine. After three or four treatments (first two were daily and then every other day), the throat growths are all gone and the scabs are falling off the comb and wattles.

Here's some pics:

No he's not dead. I find if you lay a chicken on its side and cover its head with a towel and just hold it still for a few minutes it kind of goes into a trance and I can operate on them or do just about anything.

wetpox1.jpg

These mouth pics were taken after I had removed most of the really large growths the day before. I didn't remove them all at once because they had so many and they didn't come off easily. I found if I tried again the next day, they came off easier - maybe the listerine and iodine helped that. While they definitely didn't like me opening their mouth and using a Q-tip to swab and remove lesions, they didn't seem in any particular pain or distress. I worked alone, as always, and I find it's really all about getting them prone and calm first.

You can see the yellow growths in the corner of the mouth.

wetpox2.jpg

Every time I tried to get a close up his hot breath fogged the camera lens.
smile.png

wetpox3.jpg

So thanks everyone for your suggestions - they are working and the roos are healing. It's kind of odd that I have over 200 chickens, every age and breed, all free ranging our farm and it's only the Welsummers that came down with Pox. Three roos and one hen. She didn't have any pox on her comb or wattles but one of her eyes sealed shut and she had a huge pox that grew over the eye lid. I eventually softened it by applying warm compresses and pulled it off so that it would not grow into her eye or cause blindness.

Edited to say that I have them all isolated, just in case....

Last edited:
Ruth so glad to hear this has worked so well for you and yours are doing so good.
hugs.gif

It makes me feel so good to be able to help others with this when mine came down with it i had only me the web and my common sense to depend on.

I found the growths in their throats the hardest to remove too and it took several tries to get it all i think mine being bantams it was hard on them being so small.
The 6 that died were young less than 6 months and they just weren't strong enough to fight it.

Thanks for sharing the pics i hope this thread hangs around so it can help anyone in the future who needs info on Pox.

Hello,
I have some questions about the pox vaccines? My chicken collection includes a pair of SLW that came to me as young adults, one game hen that migrated from neighbors yard (original chicken) and three game mix hens that are about 5-6 months old. And now ten pullens about 5-6 weeks old, some bantam chicks about a week younger along with some newly hatched incubator. Yes it seem we are chicken crazed ?

My question is can I vaccinate adults and chicks alike? Is there one product that is preferred over other? None of the chickens hatched here have had any sort of vaccination.
roll.png
roll.png
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom