Fowl pox, round 2 or something else?

I thought they were regular blisters. The previous pic taken were difficult to see but was able to get a better picture and now I see...the two by her ear look cratered as well. I really should get some glasses 🤦‍♀️. She's got an appt Saturday with our vet. Going to have some tests done. I'll update afterwards.

On a different subject, sort of...does anyone have any recommendations on a good medical book for chickens? Something with pictures, diseases, infections etc...symptons, treatments, preventions etc..? I'm still pretty new at chicken tending. Only a year and a half in and have dealt with Coccidosis, eggbound, vent gleet, fowl pox, bumblefoot, something wrapped around and embedded in a chick's tongue surgically removed by vet and now this. A HUGE, HUGE thanks to this site and the info from members. Yall have helped tremendously. I read around and if I cant find what im looking for, then Ill post and yall always come through with some sort of advice and support. Again thank you!! 💗
My hubby and I are doing the best we can to keep our girls happy and well kept. I clean out, D.E., and change all 3 coops on a 2-3 week basis. Rake out the pen and put fresh hay, shavings, D.E. about every 3 months. Spray coops and run with permithrin every 1-2 months. We live in the new Orleans area and have been going through a miserable heat wave for the last couple of weeks. Im terrified of losing one of my girls to the heat. We have two big fans blowing all day and we fill the waterers with ice 2-3 times a day. We haven't lost anyone so I guess we're doing good but, dang we go through a LOT more than I thought we would. Its a little overwhelming. ...sorry for venting, Im just stressed, worrried and at a loss as to why we keep having so many issues 🙁

Attachments

• 0629231441a.jpg
    0629231441a.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 5
If you go to the vet you might want to copy some pictures of squamous cell carcinoma in poultry. There are a few online which I shared here. That way the vet might become familiar with the disease. Many vets know some about chickens, but not about the types of tumors or serious illnesses. My daughter went to vet school, and she only learned about bumblefoot. The only vets that seem knowledgeable have an interest in their own chickens, and I suppose some avian vets may know a little more. As far as books go, I bought Diseases of Poultry, and do not recommend it because it is too in depth for lay people. I am an RN, and it offers way too much info about rare disorders without explaining treatments or medications. I like this site because you can describe symptoms, post pictures, and a lot of more experienced people may see your thread and answer it. You have to filter through what is posted and decide for yourself though.

I also don't really have a "book" to suggest. I try to keep my own binder (though I do manage to forget to put things in it) of illnesses, symptoms, etc, with suggested treatments, or treatments that I have tried and how it turned out. I try to make entries for each bird, so when I hatch and have offspring I can hopefully identify any genetic things that may crop up based on the history I have. It's just short entries, so I'm not spending my life doing it. So I can find things quickly when needed. Sometimes it's hard to remember exactly what you did in the past. I have the pdf version of Plumbs Veterinary Drug Handbook, I refer to it quite a bit, though it is sometimes lacking in chicken information. You can download the 7th edition here for free:
https://www.vet-ebooks.com/veterinary-plumbs-drug-handbook-pdf/
There is an enormous amount of information here, and you can often find things searching online that, even if they don't give you good answers, may generate questions that do.
I think we all have times where it seems like everything goes wrong at once, and it can feel overwhelming. I think it gets better with time and experience. It gets a little easier to not sweat the small stuff (and to recognise what that is), take one day at a time, and accept that there are some things that are just out of our hands. Hang in there!

If you go to the vet you might want to copy some pictures of squamous cell carcinoma in poultry. There are a few online which I shared here. That way the vet might become familiar with the disease. Many vets know some about chickens, but not about the types of tumors or serious illnesses. My daughter went to vet school, and she only learned about bumblefoot. The only vets that seem knowledgeable have an interest in their own chickens, and I suppose some avian vets may know a little more. As far as books go, I bought Diseases of Poultry, and do not recommend it because it is too in depth for lay people. I am an RN, and it offers way too much info about rare disorders without explaining treatments or medications. I like this site because you can describe symptoms, post pictures, and a lot of more experienced people may see your thread and answer it. You have to filter through what is posted and decide for yourself though.
Hopefully the vet will be familiar with it. She only deals with exotic pets and birds. Thanks for the not so recommend book lol. I might look in to it. I have a medical dictionary that may be helpful in breaking terms down for me. This site, along with other online researching has helped me save my chickens and money! Thank you 😊

I also don't really have a "book" to suggest. I try to keep my own binder (though I do manage to forget to put things in it) of illnesses, symptoms, etc, with suggested treatments, or treatments that I have tried and how it turned out. I try to make entries for each bird, so when I hatch and have offspring I can hopefully identify any genetic things that may crop up based on the history I have. It's just short entries, so I'm not spending my life doing it. So I can find things quickly when needed. Sometimes it's hard to remember exactly what you did in the past. I have the pdf version of Plumbs Veterinary Drug Handbook, I refer to it quite a bit, though it is sometimes lacking in chicken information. You can download the 7th edition here for free:
https://www.vet-ebooks.com/veterinary-plumbs-drug-handbook-pdf/
There is an enormous amount of information here, and you can often find things searching online that, even if they don't give you good answers, may generate questions that do.
I think we all have times where it seems like everything goes wrong at once, and it can feel overwhelming. I think it gets better with time and experience. It gets a little easier to not sweat the small stuff (and to recognise what that is), take one day at a time, and accept that there are some things that are just out of our hands. Hang in there!
Ha! We have a chicken book too that we update with the different things we've gone through with the girls. Thanks for the link reference and kind words! 💗

Lucky Looloo should be fine 💗💗. Whew! Vet says it doesn't look quite like squamous cell carcinoma, close but not it unless her skin starts toughening up and oozing from the bumps, then maybe. For now she says it's just fowl pox. Other than that, she looks and acts like she's in great health.
I asked her about any book recommendations. She recommended "Natural Remedies for Backyard Chickens".

Back
Top Bottom