Fowl Pox - Update

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dogdollar, Sep 28, 2010.

1. dogdollar

dogdollar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    I posted this a while back:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=398181
    ...wondering if what my chickens had was fowl pox, and it turned out to be that it was. Not only did this chicken have it, but eight of my nine hens and my rooster all got the black, warty-looking things on their combs and a few even had them on their faces and around their eyes. It is not surprising....there are tons of mosquitoes where I live, and sometimes it is unbearable; you can literally look down on your forearm and see a dozen of them on you at once.
    Anyway, the good news is that all of the chickens are now on the mend, on a few there are still small remnants of the disease but the majority recovered completely, and very quickly. I am hoping that what I heard about fowl pox - that once they have had it, they can't get it again - is true, and I am posting this today for the benefit of anyone who spots this disease in their flock and panics. As it turns out, there is no cure for it once they have it, but it is seldom fatal and, as in my case, resolves fairly quickly.
    DD

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    dogdollar - Thank you for posting this update, and I'm glad you have such good news to share. I'm new to chickens and it helps to learn from others' experiences. I'm glad your post had a happy ending. [​IMG]

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Yes, thanks for posting the update. I too wondered if it was fowl pox. It's helpful to be able to put a confirmed diagnosis with a pic and description of symptoms. It's good to know your birds mended quickly. Good luck.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I'm glad it was dry pox and not wet pox....it couldve been different results. Certainly good news!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by