Fowl Pox Vaccination question

Sep 7, 2022
There seems to be a lot of random information on the various vaccine pamphlets of available vaccines for fowl pox. I am looking to vaccinate my poultry yard for fowl pox, as mosquitos are abundant.

My question is this:
Some of the vaccines state to vaccinate chicks older than 8 weeks but less than 4 weeks prior to the start of laying. Another states after 10 weeks but not prior to 4 weeks of laying or slaughter. Another states that breeding flocks should not be vaccinated 4 weeks prior to lay.

So does this mean that the vaccine isn't recommended for laying hens period? Or if I missed out on this 8 week to 16 week period, should I not vaccinate at all? Or what is the hypothetical that you do vaccinate during this 4 week period? I can't seem to find any info out there on it.

We had fowl pox during one of our first few years of having chickens, I just treated them by adding some fresh garlic and oregano to their water. I believe there's an iodin mixture that is recommended as well. But I haven't had a problem since, and we've had several new chickens and ducks since. We only lost 1 or 2 during that outbreak. We try to go as natural as possible when we can when treating our birds.

This was our own experience though, so wait and see what others might suggest.

We don’t see much fowl pox in our area, so I don’t vaccinate. But in the southern US, TX, and tropical regions with huge mosquito populations, fowl pox vaccine might help to prevent severe cases. It affects young chicks more severely due to the swelling around eyes and nostrils, making it hard to see and get food and water.

Most links I read say to vaccinate at 8 weeks. In broiler chicks, that can be as young as 8 days. Here are some links to read:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/VM021#:~:text=Control and prevention in chickens,to ten days following inoculation.

https://www.drugs.com/vet/fowl-pox-vaccine.html

http://posc.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/20/2012/08/Fowl-pox.pdf

https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/fowl-pox-in-layers-an-overview

My flock doesn’t have fowl pox. I know what it is, and all the details etc.

My question is about the vaccine and ages, the conflicting reports in the pamphlet of not vaccinating laying hens vs what age to actually vaccinate. Anyone?

The question is mainly wanting clarification for this:
  • Vaccinate pullets between the ages of 4 weeks and 8 weeks before the start of egg production.
  • Vaccine must be administered at least four weeks prior to the onset of egg production.
Seems to be contradictory

There seems to be a lot of random information on the various vaccine pamphlets of available vaccines for fowl pox. I am looking to vaccinate my poultry yard for fowl pox, as mosquitos are abundant.

My question is this:
Some of the vaccines state to vaccinate chicks older than 8 weeks but less than 4 weeks prior to the start of laying. Another states after 10 weeks but not prior to 4 weeks of laying or slaughter. Another states that breeding flocks should not be vaccinated 4 weeks prior to lay.

So does this mean that the vaccine isn't recommended for laying hens period? Or if I missed out on this 8 week to 16 week period, should I not vaccinate at all? Or what is the hypothetical that you do vaccinate during this 4 week period? I can't seem to find any info out there on it.
Hello Cedius:

I just finished watching a You Tube video on healing fowl pox naturally. First, there are two types of pox. Wet and dry. The dry pox are on the outside which I am writing about. Still reserching the wet pox (gastro intestinal, mouth and throat). For dry pox, take a lime. Roll it or, nuke it for 10 seconds to get it soft. Slice the lime in half and rub the lime on all the sports. Lime helps by drying out the pox. Do this for 2 days. Also, according to the individual, do not isolate the birds. Treat them all at one time by boostine the imune system. Elderberry syrup ( 1/2 cup to 2 gallons of water) and plain yogurt ( 3 days). Also provide rooster booster in their water after the elderberry treatment. The lime is only meant to be used on birds that show the pox. You do not need to treat the bird with lime that do not show pox. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom