Fowl pox?

AllyTCat

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Our rir hen biscuit has something on her wattle. We Think it’s fowl pox but our other chickens aren’t showing any symptoms. Then again it only appeared today, so we aren’t sure. Here’s a picture

and also I wanted to know if anything bad will happen to her or her eggs if they’re edible still

Attachments

• 7240A582-BCA6-428B-B4E0-9E7991FDD1D7.jpeg
    7240A582-BCA6-428B-B4E0-9E7991FDD1D7.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 25
To me it looks more like a peck mark or injury. Just monitor her and the rest of the flock. Even if she had fowl pox her eggs would be edible.

Our rir hen biscuit has something on her wattle. We Think it’s fowl pox but our other chickens aren’t showing any symptoms. Then again it only appeared today, so we aren’t sure. Here’s a picture

and also I wanted to know if anything bad will happen to her or her eggs if they’re edible still
Looks like it.

To me it looks more like a peck mark or injury. Just monitor her and the rest of the flock. Even if she had fowl pox her eggs would be edible.
Okay we have been monitoring them and nothing so far except them being mean to her

Fowl pox, and pecking injures can sometimes look very similar. To me, it looks like an injury, but, If fowl pox, other lesions will start to appear over time, if they don't, and the lesion in question starts diminishing it was likely an injury of sorts.

If you start seeing more lesions you can be a bit more "effective" regarding how you "help" alleviate the symptoms, but for now, it wouldn't be a bad idea to apply iodine, or an antibacterial ointment to the sore a couple of times a day just in case it is fowl pox.

Back
Top Bottom