Fowl Pox

Thancock760

Songster
Jul 21, 2021
Well, two of my five girls has fowl pox. This is a first for me. I have read through everything and it looks like it just has to run its course. Any suggestions while we wait it out?

Thank you 🫶

Do you have any pictures of the scabs? Fowl pox virus lasts around a month, and most chickens recover from dry fowl pox. There is no treatment. Make sure they are drinking and eating normally. If they have scabbing around the eyes, they may need help finding food and water.

IMG_7320.jpeg

I was able to get a screen shot from a video earlier this afternoon. This literally came on in a couple days. Makes me feel so bad.

Do you have any pictures of the scabs? Fowl pox virus lasts around a month, and most chickens recover from dry fowl pox. There is no treatment. Make sure they are drinking and eating normally. If they have scabbing around the eyes, they may need help finding food and water.
Posted a pic below. On girl does have a swollen left eye/side of face with welts. Her right side is clearer.

It should clear up in a few weeks. What is your general location? Pox can be worse in southern states and tropical areas with heavy mosquitoes. There is a vaccine available for people in those areas. Once chickens get pox, though, they are immune in the future to that strain.

It should clear up in a few weeks. What is your general location? Pox can be worse in southern states and tropical areas with heavy mosquitoes. There is a vaccine available for people in those areas. Once chickens get pox, though, they are immune in the future to that strain.
Thank you so much. I am in West Tennessee- about 45 mins north of Memphis.

Back
Top Bottom