Fowl pox?!

Pet Duck Boy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Orlando, FL
One of my little hens has been developing white, slightly raised spots on her comb, which eventually turn black, like a scab. So far there's only 2 scabs but I think I see more developing. I have noticed a decrease in laying, this particular hen NEVER skips more than a day every two weeks from laying. The past week, she's only laid two. Which is undestandable due to the decrease in light, but a little odd for such a consistent layer. Now is fowl pox bad, or deadly? Contagious? How do I treat her? She seems perfectly fine...other than the black spots on her comb. Help please!

Last edited:
If it is fowl pox, and the dry form, she will probably get through it on her own and then be immune to fowl pox in the future. Fowl pox is contagious to other chickens. It could be something else - like just a reaction to insect bites on her comb- and some other reason for her laying to slack off.

Your hen should be okay. Every chicken that I've ever had has gotten fowl pox and I haven't lost one. As long as its the dry strain (the scabs) and not the wet form (inside the mouth) I wouldn't worry about it. It usually takes about 2 weeks or so for the scabs to go away and for her to begin laying again. You can put alittle neosporin on the scabs to help them heal faster but the disease usually goes by quick. The good thing about is if they have it once they can't get it again.

It's gotten a little worse and I see some forming on her ear lobes and wattles.
sad.png

Still pretty spunky though.

Back
Top Bottom