Fowl Pox?

According to what I read of First State Vet Supply it is not unusual to have both at the same time. I am thinking that I might. I hope all of mine recover; I just lost about 50 chicks in a fire so I don't want to lose anymore; plus my LGD has decided that she needs to chase chickens. I don't think she means to kill them, as she doesn't eat them, but the results are the same. Chickens are not very hardy when it comes to mauling.

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/content/view/20/37/

So sorry to hear that. Be careful about your dog once they start chasing they typically don't stop and it will get worse. I recently lost most of my flock to a dog mauling. Funny thing is about 2 days later the dogs caught them selves in one of my chicken pens. Don't ask me how but when I got home they had worn out the grass around the edges of the pen trying to get back out.

The frustrating thing about the dog is that this behavior had been stopped when she was a puppy and she didn't even look at chickens for almost a year, could have cared less.

Then she had a litter of pups and of course the puppies would chase the chickens, but not in a mean way, just a game. To a puppy chickens are the ultimate squeaky toy, and sometimes the chickens were in the puppy food too, so there was a little food aggression to work on. So while I am concentrating on correcting the pups mom decides that she needs to get in on the act and chase the chickens too.

At first I thought maybe she was trying to chase the chicken away from her puppy, wishful thinking on my part. I don't think that was her intention at all.

When I have found her with a bird that is wounded or dead it it almost as if she is guarding it. She will carry it either under the barn or onto a pile of hay that she likes and they lay there with it besides her. The other dog can't touch it. I am not sure if she IS truly guarding it because it is injured or if she is guarding her next meal. But she doesn't eat them.

Livestock guarding dogs have next to no prey drive and they are very protective of their charges so it is hard to read her. I did put the electric collar back on her a few times when I was home, and when the collar is on she doesn't have any interest in chickens. Smart dog, darn it.

It has been about 3 weeks since the last fatality and she is with the chickens all day. I am hoping that my beating her with the dead bird last time made an impression. She is a very tender hearted dog and really wants to please me so maybe she got the point.

We will be fencing more pasture in the next month or two so I am hoping that more room with her to run with her goats will help too. Maybe she is just bored.

Last edited:
My chicken had fowl pox also... The say once one gets it u have to treat ur whole flock.. Theyy all will end up having it.. Once u start them on the meds wash coops and water feed dishes with bleach.. U need to get them Duramycin-10 and add it to their water for 14 days.

Theyy have trouble breathing, runny nose, bubbly secreation from eyes, sneezing... Also growths that form... An odor that is reall bad also.. Here are some pictures.

These pictures are after i started her on the meds... The growths started to turn dark and scab over then fall off and heal...

I've had two chicks die from fowl pox. Theirs looked more like pink warts that later turned black. Both did get one big one on the eye lid but it didn't look like what your picture looks like.

Back
Top Bottom