fowl pox...

daniel rainey

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 9, 2013
Hi I was wondering if I had one flock of chickens that had fowl pox, but are now over it and one flock that have never had it... can i move some hens from the once infected flock to the always clear flock? both flocks have red mite but controlled numbers! mabey would the blood or the once infected flock always be infected and will the disease be spread through this?
Thanks for any answers!!

Hi I was wondering if I had one flock of chickens that had fowl pox, but are now over it and one flock that have never had it... can i move some hens from the once infected flock to the always clear flock? both flocks have red mite but controlled numbers! mabey would the blood or the once infected flock always be infected and will the disease be spread through this?
Thanks for any answers!!

I'm not sure. All I know is that Fowl Pox is spread by mosquitoes and other blood sucking insects, so the mites could very well infect your pox-free flock. Fortunately, after going through Fowl Pox, birds are immune to further occurrences of the disease.

yes, Thanks... i just wonder if once the birds are over it will they always be carriers... i might just have to experiment to see and hope for the best!

yes, Thanks... i just wonder if once the birds are over it will they always be carriers... i might just have to experiment to see and hope for the best!

Birds that recover are not able to pass the disease to another bird (I'm pretty certain about this, but somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks for any answers!!

Chickens are not carriers of fowl pox after it has run its course. They are immune to that strain afterwards. Red mites arnt controlled, they reproduce and lay eggs by the hundreds as they see fit.
KILL the mites before they KILL your chickens. Dead chickens dont get fowl pox!

Back
Top Bottom