Fox ate 2 chickens!

Update!
Neighborhood farmers have lost hens as well and have set out traps.
Saw the fox today- it is so bold it is coming closer to our home- at 8 am.
we put up a chain link fence to protect the ladies- it is 6 feet high. I am doubling the fence on the bottom with chicken wire to make the holes smaller for the little chicks.
Also buried the fence around the perimeter.
I still free range- when I can be out with them. And I carry a rake- because this fox is not afraid of people. Or dogs!
This fox is bold- it attacked another hen while my husband was 40 feet away.
It seems to come around every week.
We are looking into an electric wire for the fenced run.
I read trapping a fox is challenging!
Also a little ground 13 stripe squirrel or chipmunk has found a way into my secure run! I followed its tunnel- they managed to the 2 foot perimeter

I understand some will be sad about the fox
And want all life to live- and before chickens I would feel the same. But now I am invested in this flock. And anything that attacks my girls has got to go!

Hoping the farmer catches that rascal who is eating my hens!

Consider calling or visiting every neighbor, especially any with birds, within at least 1/2 mile, and let them know. If everyone is aware and looking, chances of someone getting a shot at him, or another trap, will work.
Mary

Consider calling or visiting every neighbor, especially any with birds, within at least 1/2 mile, and let them know. If everyone is aware and looking, chances of someone getting a shot at him, or another trap, will work.
Mary
Oh we did that awhile ago, yes we alerted all our neighbors.
And asked how to stop the fox.
I was amazed to see the fox this morning.
We been here a decade and this is the first time I ever seen them. Also saw a raccoon go through. Husband saw a mom with 5 babies on our neighbor’s place.

e night time free ranging for my flock
Chickens go to roost and sleep at night, no ranging around after dark as far as i know.
Only ranging i can think of would be if your coop and yard were compleatly lit up.
A chicken in darkness does not move, thats why they are "sitting ducks" for any preditor that can get in the coop.

Chickens go to roost and sleep at night, no ranging around after dark as far as i know.
Only ranging i can think of would be if your coop and yard were compleatly lit up.
A chicken in darkness does not move, thats why they are "sitting ducks" for any preditor that can get in the coop.
Good point!
my chickens are locked up securely after 8 pm
And let out after 9 am.
Now we have a secure run and coop with an additional fenced in run that is even bigger.
We used chain link 6 foot around perimeter and buried fence around the base. 4 doors with pavers for threshold. If this doesn’t work we will get electric line
The ladies free range when I am with them
Befor the attacks they were free all day!
Maybe after we eliminate the fox that can happen again.
I still need a rooster too. Just not sure how to get one- a good one

Over the years I have lost over ten chickens during the day free ranging to foxes. At the moment - touch wood - my setup has been good enough to keep them out. They are very active during the day in my area. We lost a chicken a week or so ago to a fox during the day (mid to late morning I’d assume) under the cover of the fog. I have caught a fox in the act once but only once, my dogs saved that hens life (Great Dane and German Shepard mix). I’m really sorry about your losses, I agree with the responses who say keep your hens locked up for a week or more. Foxes are smart, they watch you to see when you are home, when you leave and where your dogs patrol. Unfortunately predators are one of the many risks that come along with free ranging

Over the years I have lost over ten chickens during the day free ranging to foxes. At the moment - touch wood - my setup has been good enough to keep them out. They are very active during the day in my area. We lost a chicken a week or so ago to a fox during the day (mid to late morning I’d assume) under the cover of the fog. I have caught a fox in the act once but only once, my dogs saved that hens life (Great Dane and German Shepard mix). I’m really sorry about your losses, I agree with the responses who say keep your hens locked up for a week or more. Foxes are smart, they watch you to see when you are home, when you leave and where your dogs patrol. Unfortunately predators are one of the many risks that come along with free ranging
I kept them secure for a month- seems like the fox makes a visit weekly or biweekly- trail cameras

Back
Top Bottom