fox ate all my chickens

genabeana

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 19, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
I can't believe it, I have an 8 foot enclosed fence that it somehow got over. One of the doors was pried open and THEY ARE ALL GONE! All those weeks and months, gone. One carcass, blood stains, and feathers as a reminder that they were actually there. Who the hell knew a fox could scale an 8-foot fence.

I'm thinking of replacing them. Not sure if I will, I may give up on back yard chickens. The best place for me to get new ones sells Leg horns, barred rocks and Rhode Island Reds. I could buy 5 of one kind.

Can anyone tell me which breed would be the friendliest? I really liked my white chickens, but the barred rocks and austrolorp were pretty.

I'm pretty devastated.

go to mypetchicken.com

most likely at the least you could get 3 LF chicks, 5 at the most.

leghorns, barred rocks, and rirs are nice, but MPC has a lot more choices...

also, if you're looking for a friendly breed, i wouldn't go leghorn, as they're very flighty. and RIR tend to be aggressive/flighty.

I am so sorry for your loss - that must be very difficult
hugs.gif

I have some Buff Orps that are so docile and friendly. I have 4 kids and another on the way and the Buff Orps are great with the kids as well as myself. I hope you can find some more chicks soon. Good luck - keep us posted.

Sorry you lost your birds. are you sure it was a fox? It could have been a raccoon ore another predator depending on where you live. Try to find out positively what the animal was so you can better protect your future flock.

Was this during the night?

If it was during the day they may just be hiding and perhaps some will come back.

This happened to me with a fox--and I KNOW it was a fox because I saw it.

Anyway, I thought I had lost at least eight, and gosh, they came back throughout the day and I even found one, under a box, three days later! So perhaps some will come back.

Yes, this is terribly upsetting when it happens. Our chickens are so helpless and need our protection so much.

Don't give up. Maybe you could get a LGD?

(I tend to always feel there is NO problem that won't be helped by getting another dog.)

I forget where you are but if you are near me I will help you out. I am in West Virginia.

Sending hugs, I feel so sorry.
hugs.gif

Catherine

I lost a few chickens to a Racoon and that is when I ran hot wire around my coop, one at the bottom and one at the top. I have not had a problem since. We bought a solor paneled charger so we did not have to run electricity. I wish you luck with your new chickens.

The predator sounds more like a coon to me. Coons can easily climb fences and pry doors/latches open. We just lost a great mother hen and her chicks to a coon last week.
sad.png
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom