Fox attack and poor my little hen :(

Toi-toi

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Central MA
Fox got in the chicken area this morning and I just found out before it kills my babies.
But one of my sweetest hen got attacked and stripped off her feathers. Back of the neck to tail part is gone.
(It's not visible, I have to move other feathers to see her skin.)
I checked her and no injuries anywhere, just feather loss.

But my hen is down. She hides under the tree, close her eyes and her tail is down.
She won't come out for treats, she just stay there.
I understand what she went thru. Must be so scared.
Is it normal to act like that after attack??? Even no injuries???

After two years and no problems we had our first fox attack a month ago. Got both our guinea fowl and a favorite little hen, a cochin named Mrs. Beazley. Realizing predators are not evil and only acting on their instincts and need to eat doesn't make you feel any better -- but it does sound like your hen will be fine once she gets over the shock.

Blessings,
Laura

Yes, I've had a few critters get in my coop before and even though they only hauled off with one chicken all the others either stayed up on their roosts or wedged themselves somewhere they felt safe. It lasted for a few weeks with mine and laying went down tremendously. She'll be alright it will just take her some time to recover. Keep going to her and offering treats as often as you can, it should help her come out of it a little faster.

Thank you.
I checked her out so many times but she is still in shock.... Poor thing...
sad.png

Now I have to worry to go out. Once fox got in, that means it will come back, right?
Have to make fence taller... The fence I got is only 4ft tall....
I had no problems with fox before....

How I can win this war!!!!

She is in shock.
Spritz a bit of Gatorade or Pedialyte on some watermelon for her (or other yummy treat) - these are electrolytes and may help.
If you have or can get Rescue Remedy (Bach flower remedy - health food store), put a couple drops in her drinking water - this may have a calming effect.
Stay with her until she comes out of this. Be very reassuring with your words - if she likes to be held in your lap, put her there and just be very soothing. It can make all the difference. If she has a best buddy put them both somewhere calm and quiet with food, treats and water. If you can get mealworms, these may lift her spirits and spark interest once she calms down. I once held a hen in my lap for an hour and a half after a stupid neighbor's dog attacked her and she lived - she was shocky for that whole time and then began to come out of it. You can lose them to shock - do anything you can to ease her out of it.

She may have injuries you haven't yet noticed. Check her very carefully.

JJ

Last edited:
It was hot day today so I had to force her to come out from under the tree and drink water.
Took long time but my hen got better.
She started walking around with others.

I called animal control and they said they will come over and set trap.
But they didn't come today
sad.png

I hope the fox won't come back at all!!!!

Your birds have to be in 'lockdown' for now or you will have a repeat incident.

Also, after an attack like that, heat or any stressor is hard for a bird to handle. She needs to be comfortably cool, along with the other measures mentioned.

Do you have fans (accessible to them but not forcibly directly on them), icy fruit and other measures in place to help the birds deal with heat? It will be hot over the weekend here in NJ so presumably also in MA, though perhaps a bit less so.....

JJ

Last edited:
You really need to concentrate fortifying your coop and pen or the fox attacks will continue, and other predators will eventually find their way in as well.

Yea, fortifying your coop is a must cuz that fox will be back. If possible bury wire a foot or so down & enclose the coop if you can. A fox will dig under if it can to get in. I hear those Nite Guards work well but havn't tried them yet. If all else fails have traps set.

My coop is off the ground and can't dig in.
But problem is fence....

Chickens are free range with only 4ft tall garden fence (Do you call garden fence??? It's green wire one...)
I spent all day outside yesterday. Today is raining... so I'm in and out, checking them...
I thought fox won't come out during the day time but yesterday's attack was 8am.
I'm going crazy.... Need better fence!!!

Back
Top Bottom