Fox attack, big flesh wounds

Lonnie33

Chirping
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
Hi everyone
Seeking advice please. This morning at dawn a fox got into our coop, we scared the fox off, but discovered my araucana had been attacked. She has horiffic flesh wound on her back, lots of feathers out, and a smaller puncture wound on her side. I don’t think anything is broken but Im not totally sure. She walks normally. We bathed the wound gently with saline on a cotton wool ball and have applied some dry antiseptic powder and placed her in a box with towels in the laundry. What should I do next? Is she likely to recover from this? We don’t have a vet nearby who will see chickens, so I am on my own. Pics attached (beware it’s gory). Any advice is gratefully received.

Attachments

• A1C0FEFB-7BA8-4E7F-9831-4617D961401D.jpeg
    A1C0FEFB-7BA8-4E7F-9831-4617D961401D.jpeg
    574.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 3A2C4AC6-DBDB-469D-AC41-C18542064D85.jpeg
    3A2C4AC6-DBDB-469D-AC41-C18542064D85.jpeg
    498.9 KB · Views: 28
So sorry this happened. I'm not an expert but we've had a couple intruder attacks against our roosters though not quite so severe and they have recovered. Separating her from the rest of the flock will prevent any pecking of the wound. You might want to dress the wound with antibiotic and bandage and change daily. Maybe also consider a Hen apron while her feathers grow back (if they do?). Maybe check with the Chicken Chick (https://the-chicken-chick.com/). Best of luck to you Lonnie33.

Hi everyone
Seeking advice please. This morning at dawn a fox got into our coop, we scared the fox off, but discovered my araucana had been attacked. She has horiffic flesh wound on her back, lots of feathers out, and a smaller puncture wound on her side. I don’t think anything is broken but Im not totally sure. She walks normally. We bathed the wound gently with saline on a cotton wool ball and have applied some dry antiseptic powder and placed her in a box with towels in the laundry. What should I do next? Is she likely to recover from this? We don’t have a vet nearby who will see chickens, so I am on my own. Pics attached (beware it’s gory). Any advice is gratefully received.
Hopefully and judging from the pictures it could have been worse.:hugs
The first thing to bear in mind is that she may have internal organ damage from the pressure of the foxes jaws. There is nothing you can do but hope.
With the damage you can see.
Try and buy some Chlorhexedine. It comes spray or dropper form. It's far better for wound cleaning and disinfecting than saline or most other things.
The Chlorhexidene needs to stay in contact with the wound for around twenty seconds to be fully effective. A spray in your case might be best. Spray the wound thoroughly and leave it for a while. You can clean up round the edges wile you wait.
Cotton wool isn't ideal for wound cleaning. While you're at the chemist get some surgical wipes. These won't leave any strands of fiber in the wound.
Do not be tempted to use hydrogen peroxide on such a wound. It cauterizes the flesh and inhibits tissue regrowth.
I would also get an anti biotic cream and once the wound is clean, pack the wound with the ointment. Infection is what you need to keep an eye out for.
If she will eat on her own there is a good chance of recovery. If she needs a bit of encouragement then yogurt mixed with honey, pureed fish, finely chopped meat, or whatever nutritious treat she prefers may get her eating.
Keeping her hydrated is important. If necessary this article explains how to tube feed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
You could also give a vitamin supplement with her water; a crushed pill or liquid. If the supplement is for humans give one quarter of the recommended dose once a day.
Keep her warm and stress free.
If you have a pet carrier then place a towel in the bottom and confine her in there for the nest couple of days.
You can give one half of a junior aspirin (more chemist) with food once a day to help with the pain.
Provided she has no internal injuries I would say from what I can see, her prospects are good. If she will still eat solids then the prospects are even better.

Just to add to what Shadrach said.. Any antibiotic/triple antibiotic ointment you use - make sure it does not contain any pain reliever.

Adding to Shadrach, too...Junior aspirin here is sold as children’s aspirin. It is 81 mg per tablet. Children’s aspirin is easier to crush than other 81 mg aspirins but sometimes people have the adult version already around and it’s okay to use.

Thank you everyone for your advice and encouragement. I live in Australia and I don’t think we can get topical antibiotic without a prescription but I am going to check the stores locally. We will give aspirin also as recommended. She has been eating out of my hand and drinking when I dip her beak in so that’s good news but Unfortunately I did discover another wound area which was hidden under feathers, it’s like the skin has been completely torn and I can see muscle underneath (muscle doesn’t seem to be damaged). Added a new pic. Is this going to require stitches to heal? I’m really worried now. Thanks again I can’t tell you how much you are helping my sanity!

keep her warm, and if you have some electrolytes give her some to help with the stress. besides cleaning, you can use a human first aid antibiotic as long as it doesn't have pain reliever in it, and keep an eye on it, it should stay clean and moist to heal

Back
Top Bottom