fox attack during broad daylight while I was outside!

They can heal up pretty quick from massive injuries, it's amazing, and they are better off with the flock if possible.
Sounds like you know how to manage the situation by watching her behavior.

Last edited:
I have lost 2 hens recently to what I believe is Raccoon...not sure. I have a hen house and 5' fenced in hen yard but that does not stop the Raccoon from climbing over and trapping my hens in their hen house. So now....UGH I have to go out every evening and not only make sure my hen run gate is closed but close the girls in the hen house. During the day the girls are free range I have a large dog that patrols our property during the day so I don't have an issue. But geez...for 3 years my chickens were safe, now after loosing 2 of them I have to make sure to lock them up at night.

So sorry about your hens. Critters always find a way to what they want if they can. If your run isn't too big you could put a roof or wire on the top. I have hawks around my house so I had to put a top on my run (just wire). I just put a roof on half of my original run (roughly 8'x9') so the girls have some room even when it rains. I also put a gutter on the roof and will fix up a rain collection/auto waterer set up. My boys poke fun at me because the chicken area keeps expanding and improving. :D They don't poke fun at me for the yummy eggs and comedic relief the chickens provide. I always tell them its a pet that feeds you so win win.

Update on Foxy I have left her with the other girls and each day she gets a little more energetic. She wouldn't touch the scrambled eggs until I got her to taste them. I had some left over corn we had for supper and she pretty much gobbled that up. She still takes her time walking around and mostly finds a comfy spot to lay down but she does need her rest. I got sneaky knowing she may have a broken bone and could use some extra calcium so I put a few pieces of crushed oyster shell into the cut end of some of the corn. Fooled her because she ate them. :) So far so good.

Foxy still won't get on the roost but she is much more mobile than she was. I saw her stretch and flap her wings. Some of the other girls were dust bathing and she just laid down and let them throw stuff on her. Lazy chicken. She is actively seeking food on the ground, scratching around, and going after treats...not at full chicken speed but acting like she is on the road back to normal.

I haven't let them out to free range since the fox attacked because I don't have time to just sit there and watch them but with the doubled run size they don't seem to mind much. I scatter some food in the straw in the run and it keeps them busy looking for it. I also built a dust box for them and they spend a good bit of time there.

It also had a fox attack my chickens during the day. I was just inside the house and ran out and screamed and the fox ran off in the opposite direction. He had bitten one bird but there were only lost feathers no injuries. Very scary.

I did feel pretty fine with allowing the chickens to free range while I was home. They had been doing it since I got them last spring even in winter with no problems. Roll the dice and eventually something gets hungry. I haven't let them free range since but with the added run they are happy.

Foxy is pretty much scratching around and walking normal now. She still doesn't use the roost. The others just hop up on it. I don't think she can fly now but she was stretching her wings some the other day. I give her 75% back to normal chicken.

I have shot at no less than 4 coyotes in the past three days...so glad I have dogs that watch my free range birds. They bark and I'm out there ready to shoot.

P.S. I did however scare the pants off my UPS guy...

Last edited:
You have foxes during the day because you have coyotes in the area. The foxes have to adapt to laying up at night to avoid the 'yotes.
A bigger run is a great idea with two canine predators in the area.

Back
Top Bottom