Fox attack on duck! Help needed!

Mine was attacked by a fox and has a puncture wound on the back under the wings. He is unable to walk right now but legs are strong so I don't think they're broken. He just started to open and close his beak while breathing, not panting like they do when they're hot. It's the weekend too and no vets open till Monday

I think if you can keep her in a "hospital crate" where it is relatively clean, with fresh bedding, water, good food, that's half the battle.

The colloidal silver is a good idea. Some folks do well treating such wounds with a simple mild saline solution four times a day at first. There is a product called Vetericyn that also reduces risk of infection. I would not cover it tightly, as I believe it needs some air to avoid gangrene.

You can consider oral antibiotics, but she may not need them. It's a tough call, as it is difficult to detect systemic infection in a duck till it's well along.

I don't know your weather, but flies will lay eggs in open wounds, so keep her in, away from flies. Trim the feathers short around the edges of the wound for ease of care and monitoring.

Ducks can recover from horrid injury, by the way. The vet may be able to give you some anti-inflammatory medicine that reduces pain.

Check under her wings and around her vent also for puncture wounds.

I would give her electrolytes and vitamins in water for a few days.

@casportpony has experience with medicines.

Feel free to post over on the Duck Forum if you have not yet.

hugs.gif
My ducks recently got attacked by a fox and I started applying Vetericyn, under the wings and on the side. It says not toxic to animals, even when licking but I know sometimes things can vary when it comes to ducks, my concern is when they preen straight after applying it cause its wet in the area. I don't think they can get much in their mouths with the spray vs the gel but when they're your babies ya get all kinds of concerns. My ducks are like little puppies that follow me around and like me with them, even when I don't have treats lol. Also I read there shouldn't be any skin irritation when applying but I noticed that right after I apply it under their wings they immediately start drooping and they lift them up and down slightly, sometimes for hours after.

Back
Top Bottom