1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fox attack please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jennybell30, Dec 13, 2016.

1. jennybell30

jennybell30 Just Hatched

Dec 13, 2016
    A fox got one of my chickens and went for a second one, but I was able to chase it off. The fox still managed to bite my silver lace before I chased him off. I have kept my injured bird in the house the past couple nights and now she won't eat, barely drinks, and is just laying in a box wacking her beak off of the box.

Is she acting despondent because she is separated from the rest of her flock, from the stress of the attack, or is there possibly a more serious injury that I have not observed?

Any opinions and thoughts are welcomed and appreciated!! Thank you

2. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    If she was bitten, infection is the biggest problem she is facing. Of course she is stressed out but you need to check the site of the bite and look for inflammation. Puncture wounds like that could have cause more than a superficial hole. Without more info it is hard to be more helpful to you. Best wishes.

3. jennybell30

jennybell30 Just Hatched

Dec 13, 2016
    She has no inflammation and I cleaned the wounds with peroxide and put neosporin on them. She hopped out of the box yesterday and was eating and drinking on her own a little but now today I tried to bring her back to the coop and she wouldn't stand up so I brought her back in and she has just laid there only drinking if I put it right up to her mouth and just turns away from food.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  5. Stayster

Stayster New Egg

Dec 14, 2016

I have had more than one chicken survive dog and fox attacks. I use blu-kote to cover wound. It is a antiseptic protective wound dressing. It also a germicidal and fungicidal. The blue color prevents other chickens from pecking wounds. So I use it on all chicken wounds.
    Next I put the injured chicken in a separate cage with a heat lamp to raise her body temperature to help her heal. I add electrolytes to water. I keep her separate until her wounds look better and she seems healthy enough to join flock. The Blu may stay on feathers until she loses them.
    I don't know if this will help but it has worked for me more than 3 times

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by