Fox attack

MaineHeart42

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2019
ELIOT, MAINE
Feeling sorry for my 5 girls in their pen I opened the pen to let them out to roam. The girls always stay in the yard ..roughly 1 acre .. they had been outside about 1/2 hour and they were all together as usual, I walked over by my vehicles and all of a sudden I hear ALL my girls squawking in fear, I look over and a FOX has one of my girls pinned to the ground .. I ran towards the girls and started yelling at the fox, he immediately let my girl go and she came running to me, after I saw her and the others run for their coop I focused on getting the fox out of my yard .. it did not want to leave but after I started charging towards it, it ran off .. i went to the coop to get the girls in and i couldnt find the one that was attacked, after about 1/2 hour Of looking i started calling COME ON GIRLS ..and she finally came out from hiding .. she did not want me to pick her up, but I did, i couldn't visually see any wounds or blood on her. I went to the coop several times to check on her and she did get up on her porch with the other girls but it appears as though she is crying .. she is trying to talk, but it's like she had laryngitis..and now she is trying to talk but no sound ..what can I do to help her I feel so bad ..is she traumatized or does anyone think she could have internal problems or both ..should I take her to the vets??

Good job! Keep all penned as fox will try again. Show a picture of her. A video would be even better. Odds are she took a few bites that cause puncture wounds into her respiratory system. You may find need to post in emergency forum with respect to her health issues.

Yesterday I was feeling sorry for my girls whom have been in their coop for days, I let them out into the yard, 1 acre of land ..I walked over to my vehicles, a few yards from where all my girls where so happy and all of a sudden ALL my girls started frantically squawking, I turned their way and a FOX had one of my girls pinned to the ground. I ran to them yelling at the fox, all the other girls came running to me and the fox let my other girl go. She ran to me and i scattered her in the direction of her coop so that i could concentrate on getting that fox out of my yard ..after a lot of yelling the fox took off. I then went to the coop and the one chicken wasnt in her coop. I looked everywhere for her .. i started calling HEY GIRLS, as they know this comes with special treats, she finally came out of hiding, I picked her up to check for visual wounds, blood ..I found nothing, she was trying to sqwack but sounded like she had laryngitis..I checked on her throughout the night and her snacking now I cant hear anything from her, you can see she is visually attacking but nothing is coming out ..what can I do to help her, visually you wouldn't know she was attacked, no apparent broken bones or blood, lost maybe 2 feathers, is she traumatized or do you think she has internal problems that are not visual ..if we weren't in the middle of a major storm I would bring her to vets, just not an option at this time
Can you enter your location in your profile please. Your handle intrigues me.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry that the fox was out, but glad that you intevened in time to save them. You hen may have been squeezed around the neck or chest, so ther could be internal injuries. Hopefully, though, it is just shock. I would keep her separated, war, and in a dim ane quiet spot preferrably in the house for the day. Offer water with electrolytes or use some Gatorade or Pedialyte. A chopped egg or a bit of tuna once she has drunk some water might get her interested in eating. Watch to see what her poops look like. Wounds, if any, can be cleaned with soap and water, saline, Vetericyn, or weak betadine or chlorhexidene. When dry apply plain Neosporin ontibiotic ointment twice a day.

:welcome :frow Keep an eye on your girl. No doubt the fox will be back. Most nights I see a fox or coyote on one of my game cameras.
IMAG00011520219 03.jpg

DSCF00021182019 01.jpg

Welcome to BYC. Sorry that the fox was out, but glad that you intevened in time to save them. You hen may have been squeezed around the neck or chest, so ther could be internal injuries. Hopefully, though, it is just shock. I would keep her separated, war, and in a dim ane quiet spot preferrably in the house for the day. Offer water with electrolytes or use some Gatorade or Pedialyte. A chopped egg or a bit of tuna once she has drunk some water might get her interested in eating. Watch to see what her poops look like. Wounds, if any, can be cleaned with soap and water, saline, Vetericyn, or weak betadine or chlorhexidene. When dry apply plain Neosporin ontibiotic ointment twice a day.
Thank you so much for the education

Back
Top Bottom