Fox Attack

Coventrychick

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2020
We just had a fox attack. We had 6 chickens and are now down to 5. One seems to be in shock. She refuses to stand doesn’t want to eat or drink. I have her in a large dog crate. There doesn’t seem to be any puncture wounds. Any advice would be appreciated.

How is her crop? Does it empty in the morning? If so, try giving her water with electrolytes yourself through a small syringe, be careful to not let her aspirate. As for eating, maybe try scrambled or boiled eggs, if she won’t eat herself try to place a tiny amount her mouth and see if she’ll eat it. What color is her comb? Is it flopped over? A purple comb could indicate poor oxygen/blood flow, treat this with some drops of nutri drench. I myself haven’t dealt with a fox attack before, but I have had dogs attack my hens, that’s how I lost a rooster.

She sounds like she is in shock how long ago was the attack you done right think bring her indoors to chill try putting some electryotes or sugar in her water and try syringe her some regularly try something fun to eat like scrambled egg etc give her lots of love and encouragement let her rest xxx

She sounds like she is in shock how long ago was the attack you done right think bring her indoors to chill try putting some electryotes or sugar in her water and try syringe her some regularly try something fun to eat like scrambled egg etc give her lots of love and encouragement let her rest xxx
The attach was around 7:00 last night. She had a little scramble egg and some water last night. She is standing this morning. Gave her some more eggs and water.

How is her crop? Does it empty in the morning? If so, try giving her water with electrolytes yourself through a small syringe, be careful to not let her aspirate. As for eating, maybe try scrambled or boiled eggs, if she won’t eat herself try to place a tiny amount her mouth and see if she’ll eat it. What color is her comb? Is it flopped over? A purple comb could indicate poor oxygen/blood flow, treat this with some drops of nutri drench. I myself haven’t dealt with a fox attack before, but I have had dogs attack my hens, that’s how I lost a rooster.
She is standing this morning. Had some hard boiled egg and water this morning. Her comb is normal color red, not flopped over. Not sure when Ron bring her back with the girls.

Back
Top Bottom