Fox Attack

bmal75

In the Brooder
May 5, 2021
Good day all,
Had a bit of an emergency last week. We had a fox set upon my small flock of 7 ducks and 2 "teenage" goslings. The one gosling is the youngest (just over 1 month old) and the most aggressive and likely the reason she was caught was that she may have tied to take a stand. She survived because I was able to get close enough to scream, cuss and charge at the fox and it ran off, not before injuring her left wing with puncture wounds on the end and probably breaking the wing. I was able to clean it and stop the bleeding and able to spray some antibiotic ointment onto it. After some trial and error I was able to put a bandage around the wing in it's properly tucked position. She was able to get the bandage off three attempts prior. There is one vet around that sees birds but he is booked out for weeks and can't take a look at her. The bandage is secure at this point and I'm torn as to whether I take it off to check the wound, or leave it for the wing to set properly. She is back to her spunky behavior and I see no visible indication that anything is infected. She eating, drinking and just acting her normal ornery self. Barring an opening at the vet, do you think I leave the bandage and wrapped wing in place or take it off, thus moving the setting wing, reclean the are and rebandage and hope it stays again. My gut says leave it alone until there is a problem. Any insights welcome. Thanks

Doing well it looks like, Thanks. Ornery as always to the ducks. Gonna go with my gut and leave the wing alone till July 1. Her sister has taken over the flock now and she's backup.

Back
Top Bottom