Fox attack

Like coyotes and wolves (wild dogs in general) dad participates in rearing of pups. While pups are really small he does virtually all hunting for family. In all likelihood your fox is part of a pair but they do not generally hunt as a pair like coyotes occasionally or wolves generally do. I have notived with mine that only one pair member will actually hunt my property so they have different routes.

I'm a little worried because BooBoo has a limp now
sad.png

I should have been quicker to suggest looking for puncture wounds. Typically fox delivers many bites to back to subdue larger chicken. Punctures are small but prone to infection. Treat for infection using antibiotic, preferably one that is ingested. This something that should be done quickly and stay with regimen as directed.

BooBoo's wounds are starting to get super scabby and lumpy, and are purplish. I have been putting bacteria killer on it, but if it doesn't go down i might have to take her to the vet, she is also limping on her right leg so i'm really worried that her wounds are going to get infected. The coop is super clean, but still, wounds do get infected
sad.png

I've never seen a fox out in daytime....
At a farm I rented I had a "Pet Red Fox." He would show up every year at kit raising time when I rode my horse to check on my cows. He would stay from 20 to 30 feet away and keep perfect pace with the mare. The only time he would go running off was when the mare flushed a rabbet or caused some other small animal to move, giving away its location. The sly fox let me and the mare do all the fox's hunting but the fox did all the catching. There is nothing strange at all in a Red Fox being seen mid day, they don't get smart as a fox by sleeping in.

I see red foxes at any time of day or night but those I see regularly tend to be very consistent with respect to time they pass a particular point and direction of travel they go in as part of loop made while hunting. What influenced travel pattern most was wind direction.

Back
Top Bottom