Fox attack

Hbdragonuk

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
West midlands, UK
Hi, whilst free ranging my hens in my back garden on Friday, a fox got in and attacked my Orpington, I think she got hit trying to defend her young that she is still mothering. The only visible injury was a puncture mark on her neck which seems to be healing ok. She was clearly very stressed pale comb and face and wobbly on her legs after the attack. Although her colouring has improved slightly she still looks unwell with her head shrunk back into her body and is only eating a very small amount of food from my hand. Is this normal behaviour after a fox attack and if so how long is she likely to be this way for? All help greatly received!

Hi, whilst free ranging my hens in my back garden on Friday, a fox got in and attacked my Orpington, I think she got hit trying to defend her young that she is still mothering. The only visible injury was a puncture mark on her neck which seems to be healing ok. She was clearly very stressed pale comb and face and wobbly on her legs after the attack. Although her colouring has improved slightly she still looks unwell with her head shrunk back into her body and is only eating a very small amount of food from my hand. Is this normal behaviour after a fox attack and if so how long is she likely to be this way for? All help greatly received!
Absolutely that's normal...your hen is STRESSED...I know I'd be! Be sure that wound is cleaned thoroughly and watch it closely for any signs of infection. Also be sure she is drinking...that's important. Poor thing.

So what are you doing about the fox?

Thank you! Worried as she hadn't hardly eaten yet she has a full crop, which I have been gently massaging, don't want her to end up I'll because of it! They have a secure run, but have been spoilt over the summer and free range most of the time if I'm not at work. It just means they will have to spend more time in the run and only come out when im pottering in the garden. The old man next door thinks it's a young dog fox that has been kicked out of the den by its mother. Coincidently it's the same time of year when a fox killed 3 of my chickens last year. Just need to be more on the ball, fortunately I spotted it out the window before it took any more of the flock and ran down the garden screaming like a banshee! :/

Thank you! Worried as she hadn't hardly eaten yet she has a full crop, which I have been gently massaging, don't want her to end up I'll because of it! They have a secure run, but have been spoilt over the summer and free range most of the time if I'm not at work. It just means they will have to spend more time in the run and only come out when im pottering in the garden. The old man next door thinks it's a young dog fox that has been kicked out of the den by its mother. Coincidently it's the same time of year when a fox killed 3 of my chickens last year. Just need to be more on the ball, fortunately I spotted it out the window before it took any more of the flock and ran down the garden screaming like a banshee!
hmm.png
Sounds like it's that time of year for NO free-ranging at all. Keep them in the run. It's not worth the heartache of losing them just because "they free!" .. not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom