Fox attacks ducks

Bubblesduck

Chirping
Jan 30, 2024
A few years ago a fox killed two of my Rouens (who would free range in my yard during the day and be locked in coop at night). So then a few days ago I’m pretty sure the fox killed another call duck - the yard is fenced and netted as a simple ‘aviary’, but the call ducks were in a coop outside that and able to wander to the side of the house outside the secure zone during the day (locked up at night)…they seemed to always like going back in the bushes…but it seems from a nearby camera footage that the predator was waiting back there and at around 2pm, when the ducks wandered behind the coop it attacked and quickly took away a female call. I heard loud quacking and went outside and immediately realized…the mallard only makes that ‘alarm quack’ when predator…So I assume that would only be a fox …discharge of firearms is not permitted in my town otherwise I’d be out there setting up a trap…I was really upset to lose another duck…now they have to stay in the secure yard 24/7…,it’s about 30’ square but too bad they can’t wander in the bushes like they enjoyed

Sorry you lost another duck. I am almost a year into chickens again and decided that my chickens could never free range here, I know they are happier running around but the risk is so high here of predators that it's just a bad idea. To me they are like an investment and try to do everything I can to protect them.

Use a trap. You can drown a fox to kill it. I am sure there are other ways. I don't like the idea of killing the forest critters, but I do to protect my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom