Fox buried neighbor's chicken in my garden this morning

DaisyNoelle

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2023
Eastern Massachusetts
We caught this fox out yesterday in late morning with the last of the neighbor's (free ranging) chickens. Of their 10 babies from last summer they've lost all 10 to predators. It was too late to save the chicken, so we watched Mrs. Fox while she rested a while. After a bit of rest, or thinking, she picked up her meal and trotted off, but came back within a minute and went directly to my raised garden bed to dig a hole and carefully stuff the chicken in and cover it up.
PXL_20230323_115829954.jpg

What I am amazed at is that she seemed to realize that the soil in the raised bed was soft and diggable, which our normal soil around here is not - it is filled with rocks and quite hard to dig in. How did she know? Did the softer soil smell different? I was pretty clever of her.
PXL_20230323_120232555.jpg

She covered it up thoroughly although it isn't buried deeply. I'm really hoping she'll come back to retrieve her stored meal before I need to use that bed this spring!
PXL_20230323_122351943.jpg

Perhaps you could help her figure out something? Or is she the neighbor you avoid, or watch and laugh at?
It's not my neighbor, but one of my neighbors did loose their whole flock to predators a couple of years ago. I refuse to sell her any of my chick's, as I feel like it would be giving them a death sentence and feeding the predators.

Back
Top Bottom