Fox can’t get into coop, but keeps returning

I’ve heard that foxes are nearly impossible to trap and won’t go into a regular live trap, but I can try.
That's true. Maybe some poison in a piece of meat that is not too close to the run and that you can pick up the next day if it's not gone. Personally we would shoot it, which is legal for predators going after your livestock on your property.

Find a good spot that is not easily detected by the fox.

If you have a home window that has a clear line of sight, that is my favorite spot. Have your shooting solution set up well before the fox comes in. If it sees any movement you will lose you shooting solution.

Hang your deer rifle out the window and take care of it. If you have a den close by the fox problem is going to get worse.

Take care of the adult foxes and you are going to be doing yourself a big favor.

Hello everyone,

Sorry for not updating on my own thread. I had hoped to tell you all today that the fox had stopped coming back but she decided to show up again this morning (after being gone a week?). She was less skittish this time and didn’t run away when I came outside, which is good because it will make it easier to shoot her theoretically. Unfortunately, we are leaving today and going to be on vacation for the next five days, so I can’t set a live trap (don’t think it would work anyway). I’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks again for all the help!

Yes, it would be easy for us to put out a live trap. I think that’s what I’m going to try first.
If you can figure out where it's entering your yard you can place a snare. I've trapped fox with snares and footholds, its hard with live traps unless you descent the heck out of it.

STC_0884.JPG

This is my fox den, and is less than 50 yds from the coop/run. It's been here well over a year and this is the 2nd year of a litter. I have trail cameras back there and the one time of day I do not see them is mid afternoon, BUT they are deffinately out while my chickens free range. I do have a dog/Cooper, and he is at the den when he wants, so the fox and Cooper know each other and he will chase anything that runs. ;)
My chickens freerange during the day and go back to the secure run/coop at dusk.

View attachment 3814717
This is my fox den, and is less than 50 yds from the coop/run. It's been here well over a year and this is the 2nd year of a litter. I have trail cameras back there and the one time of day I do not see them is mid afternoon, BUT they are deffinately out while my chickens free range. I do have a dog/Cooper, and he is at the den when he wants, so the fox and Cooper know each other and he will chase anything that runs. ;)
My chickens freerange during the day and go back to the secure run/coop at dusk.
Will a fox climb a fence to get into a run? I just moved to a new area with foxes.I need a farm dog! The bottom of the run is secure, but the run is so large it's gonna be a while before we can cover the top. The coop itself is pred proof, but I worry about them during the day. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom