Fox Discovered Run... Added Protection?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshineyarns

Songster
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
Cross - posting this, as I know lots of you will have great advice... Not interested in killing or trapping this fox, as we are surrounded by wildlife and if its not this fox, its another, or a coyote, or a bobcat... you get the scary picture
smile.png
Interested in what you use for electrical fencing/other protective measures!! THANK YOU!!

"Fox Discovered our Chicks.... while we were out there!!So, just had this CRAZY experience and wanted to share. Just had our 5/6 week old chicks outside. They spend their days outside now and we check on them frequently. Anyways, hubby and I went out to bring them in for the night (still inside at night) and the little red fox that roams our property, comes trotting up the hill.... Surprise... he turns the corner and its the run and coop. He starts chasing the chicks from the outside of the fence, while hubby and I are standing right there!!

The fox pretty much chased the chickens and was definitely looking for a way in. It was just freaky! I had my little Wyandotte in my hand!! We were pretty sure we took all the precautions, knowing their are fox in our area, but seriously, now I am doubting EVERYTHING!!!

So, what can I do to make my nerves calm down?!?! We currently have a 7 foot fence with 1/2" hardwire cloth lined up to the top, and from the outside (so, no posts for him to jump up onto), and the hardwire cloth actually goes up above the posts by about 6". We buried it about a foot down, and have REALLY rocky soil. We lined both sides of the fence with large rocks/small boulders. The run is not covered, and we really don't have that option. The coop itself (when the chicks move in there) is locked and totally secure. I'm just so freaked out, as the fox was trying to get in there while we were in there... so all these old wives tales about human hair, urine?! Not buying it... what should I do... electrify?! Is that safe for the chickens?"

Well.....it's the fox or the chicks, who do you, want? The fox will keep coming back, might as well Nip it in the Bud and take out the fox. Yep, get your sling shot, BB gun, 38 pistols, 22 rifles, hand grenade, etc. and lay wait. Oh yeah, pics are a must.

Oh, about your nerves, I suggest a slow slug of Buffalo Trace Whisky, neat.

Last edited:
Given that you have an Actual Fox Problem, I would suggest three things.

The first may not be possible, but if it is, it will help a lot, that being: keep the fox from even entering your yard. Either add hotwires to existing fencing, or build fencing around your yard (as far away from the ocop as you can) with hotwire included in it. The closer they get, the more motivated!

The second thing, and arguably the most essential, would be to put a 4' wide apron around your run fence right now today. I am not kidding, 4' wide. (3' might be enough but do you really want to find out? 4' wire isn't THAT mcuh more expensive). For how to build an apron, see other threads, but make sure you do a real good job of this. 2x4" welded wire mesh is fine, although if you WANT to use something smaller-mesh you certainly CAN. Attach it super well to the foot of the run fence, and hide the outer edge.

The third thing, which would be a wise addition to the above, would be to run two hotwires on your run fence on standoff insulators. The first should be a foot or so above the ground, the second should be right near the top of the run fencing. Get good advice on choosing a suitable charger, and also buy a DIGITAL fence meter so you can see what the voltage really is (those five-neon-lights thingies are just not very accurate or reliable). You want to have like 4,000v on the fence when you test it. There is no safety issue for chickens as the hotwire is all on the OUTSIDE of the fence (unless your run fencing has such large holes that chickens could stick their heads out to contact the lower hotwire, which would "usually" be ok but you may expect the occasional fatality from a chicken whose head gets stuck. Fewer fatalities, however, than if Mr Fox gets in...)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom