Fox prevention?

Personally I'm a hunter so if a fox or raccoon is around and I see it as a threat I usually set up a live animal trap, catch it and then dispatch it as humanely and quickly as possible but if you are against killing it; get a live animal trap (extra large) or borrow it from someone you know who may have one. Wear gloves when you touch it, but as an "urban fox", as I call them as they take up residence around human it may not matter. Next bait it with something tasty and since it has a taste from chicken bait it with a piece. Put the trap somewhere on your property perferibly in the direction and area where you saw it run off too. If it's in a brushy area that's better because thats natural camouflage and the fox may think its just a tunnel in the brush where something drop some food (getting fox urine may help as the fox may think a new fox is trying to steal from its cache) With luck it will take a day or two (or maybe just one night) to catch it. Once you have it trapped, cover the cage with a towel so the fox is not stressed. Call your local animal control or game comission, the will come and take the animal for relocation. BAM! Fox gets to live and so does your chickens! But just remember if its an older fox it may have a mate and pups around so where there is one they're are always more!

Back
Top Bottom