Fox question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pinkfeather, Oct 12, 2008.

1. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Hey Everyone!

We've had a fox around here lately. A fox got a couple chickens a couple years a ago, but they were freeranging. I was wondering if a fox could get in a fenced in area. We have 4 foot 2 by 3 inch 12 (or 14) gauge fencing around our area but no top. My dad thinks the fox could never get in their area, but I think a fox could get in the fence (like dig under or climb over). Who's right??

2. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I fox if hungry enough will climb over or dig under to get its paws on some juicy chicken! [​IMG]

Looks like your the right one here.

Best of Luck [​IMG]

-Lowcountrypoultry

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, a fox can dig and he can also climb the fence.

4. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Put some mouth balls out and around from time to time,,may help deter the critters..keep the balls far enough away from your birds..

the gray fox are known to climb tree's not so much on the reds, but they can climb to.. coons are the worst of them all around our area, hear many stories about them locally here..

charlie

5. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

we have a red fox that comes by every day. He jumps over a 5' wood fence he hits the middle rail with his hind feet & springs over like it is not even there. We leave him alone because he does not seem to bother any thing & we hope he will be territorial & run othe varmints off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by