Fox repellers?

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
OK, ok, I know. The best method is to trap and/ or shoot. But I'm just asking. I heard through the grapevine that our neighbor two houses down has a fox family living under their HOUSE. So, needless to say, they're pretty used to people. We are very much opposed to killing wildlife for any reason except as an extreme last resort. Has any one had any good luck with repelling foxes?
And what methods? This is a mother and two kits, who have discovered our open diner.
sad.png
We've had two hens disappear and I'm sure foxes got them. and then a fox ran though our yard the other day in the middle of the day and grabbed one of our very best hens right under my daughter's bedroom window! Our flock is free range, and we've always lost one or so a year to foxes. But never to this extent. Yesterday evening at 700PM my daughter was outside our barn sitting with a pet rooster in her lap, working on his foot. A fox came around the corner and stared at her less than a foot away! And a few nights before that, the mother and her two kits were by our barn, our neighbor called to tell us. But I think they were scared away by the talk radio and the flock freaking out, plus, our peafowl take it upon themselves to act as guard birds for the flock, and they were in action, and I think that helps.

So, has anyone found a particularly effective repeller for a free range flock? We lock our birds up at night, and we have motion activated security lights on the barn they are in. I'm thinking of asking our electrician friend to run a ground wire, low voltage, around the base board wall of the barn, to keep them from digging under the wall, not sure how well that will work. We have barricades in place anyway most of the way outside the barn to prevent digging, but I'm not sure how determined a fox would be...so far we haven't had any problem with them trying to get in after dark. We've been heaving fireworks in the foxes direction when we know they are near, and that keeps them away for a while. We have a bunch of roos who are working overtime guard duty for the flock. We are outside as much as we can be. And we have talk radio in the barn, which isn't doing much. Any other ideas???

Oh, and please. I know people mean well but I don't mean comments like "SSS" and similar comments. That just makes me upset. We live here because we like wildlife too, and I already know that TRYING to trap them is an option, and that if we do, they will have to be destroyed. And I doubt we can effectively trap them anyway, since they are coming during the day, and I don't want to mess with trapping lots of wildlife at night that don't have anything to do with it, and with releasing chickens, cats, and everything else besides what we want, from the traps during the day. And yes, I'm aware how much damage a fox can do. Or foxes. We have lived her for several years though like I said, and we have never had a problem like this.

Last edited:
OK, ok, I know. The best method is to trap and/ or shoot. But I'm just asking. I heard through the grapevine that our neighbor two houses down has a fox family living under their HOUSE. So, needless to say, they're pretty used to people. We are very much opposed to killing wildlife for any reason except as an extreme last resort. Has any one had any good luck with repelling foxes?
And what methods? This is a mother and two kits, who have discovered our open diner.
sad.png
We've had two hens disappear and I'm sure foxes got them. and then a fox ran though our yard the other day in the middle of the day and grabbed one of our very best hens right under my daughter's bedroom window! Our flock is free range, and we've always lost one or so a year to foxes. But never to this extent. Yesterday evening at 700PM my daughter was outside our barn sitting with a pet rooster in her lap, working on his foot. A fox came around the corner and stared at her less than a foot away! And a few nights before that, the mother and her two kits were by our barn, our neighbor called to tell us. But I think they were scared away by the talk radio and the flock freaking out, plus, our peafowl take it upon themselves to act as guard birds for the flock, and they were in action, and I think that helps.

So, has anyone found a particularly effective repeller for a free range flock? We lock our birds up at night, and we have motion activated security lights on the barn they are in. I'm thinking of asking our electrician friend to run a ground wire, low voltage, around the base board wall of the barn, to keep them from digging under the wall, not sure how well that will work. We have barricades in place anyway most of the way outside the barn to prevent digging, but I'm not sure how determined a fox would be...so far we haven't had any problem with them trying to get in after dark. We've been heaving fireworks in the foxes direction when we know they are near, and that keeps them away for a while. We have a bunch of roos who are working overtime guard duty for the flock. We are outside as much as we can be. And we have talk radio in the barn, which isn't doing much. Any other ideas???

Oh, and please. I know people mean well but I don't mean comments like "SSS" and similar comments. That just makes me upset. We live here because we like wildlife too, and I already know that TRYING to trap them is an option, and that if we do, they will have to be destroyed. And I doubt we can effectively trap them anyway, since they are coming during the day, and I don't want to mess with trapping lots of wildlife at night that don't have anything to do with it, and with releasing chickens, cats, and everything else besides what we want, from the traps during the day. And yes, I'm aware how much damage a fox can do. Or foxes. We have lived her for several years though like I said, and we have never had a problem like this.

I have heard that if you play country music the foxes/coyotes think humans are around and stay away. Classical I have heard they like and come near. Rock music freaks the chickens out too. Try playing some country music like voice level for volume. See if that helps. I have not done this but have heard about it. Can't hurt to try.

I understand & can relate to not killing wildlife. I have heard about playing music in the hen house does make a big difference. Do you have dogs? There are several breeds that make great guardians. Best of luck

Music will just stress the birds. Especially That new garbage they keep calling country, but sounds like pop music, lol. Scout around the property and see if you see any dens. They are usually tunneled areas in brush. Disrupt the area and visit it often. I take the dogs running around the property, marking where they want.

I know how you feel about killing the fox. What i would do is go to your neghbor and tell them about your resent chicken proboms and about there foxes. you can ask them to trap the fox {if you dont trap it your self} and move it to another area. I would bring them a dozen of your eggs to show them what the fox is wanting to take away from you. if they refuse, trap them yourself! Until then, close your chickens as soon as they are in the coop and hope for the best.
fl.gif

Good luck!
frow.gif

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. WE have a dog but she is ancient. Still she went out today and did a property patrol. More than once.
I swear she knew we needed her to.
smile.png
The chickens are her friends.

We were outside most of today and so the flock had a peaceful day. I will look into your suggestions.

Foxes are territorial so relocating them is a sad thing for them as I have read they cannot survive in another territory.

The best method for me was electrified poultry netting. I started with 300', and it worked so well, I went and got 300' more. I got away with freeranging for almost a full year. Then the fox discovered the flock and practically wiped me out. Now the chickens get out everyday, and i don't have to worry about them. Below is an old pic, before the last 200' addition.
Jack

900x900px-LL-015704b3_IMG_1992.jpeg

That's a thought although our luck, our peafowl would try to sit on it....
roll.png
It's not really very practical for the way our property is laid out, though.
I think new dog is probably the best bet, as I think that might be why we've never had a serious problem til this year. Our dog is just getting
too old to be much use in that way anymore, although she certainly used to be.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom