lilyshen

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2018
East Sussex, UK
hello there

The east from the beast sadly left us with 1 hen

The fox/wind combined had ripped of the roof of the coop and taken the hens. :(

The hen that is remaining, will not enter, even after cleaning

What could I possibly use to help takeaway any scent that the fox had been there?

Your help is much appreciated

Kelly

So sorry for your loss, how heartbreaking for you xxx

I would agree that scent is probably not the issue and it is rather, as said, the memory. I also think moving things around in there will help. Then I think you need to make sure it is really warm and snuggly, lots of bedding, food and water and shut her in there so that she can settle down and realise she is safe (assuming, of course, that it has been properly repaired and she IS safe)

I also assume you will be getting her some more flock mates.....well, maybe sooner rather than later as it will give her something else to focus on. It might be best, if you can, to get individual hens from individual sources, hens that do not know each other already. That way, they will arrive and no-one will have the advantage of numbers and familiarity to cause an instant hierarchy. They will then all need to shuffle for pecking order, rather than an established group moving in and 'ousting' your existing girl from her already broken home xxx

So sorry for your loss, how heartbreaking for you xxx

I would agree that scent is probably not the issue and it is rather, as said, the memory. I also think moving things around in there will help. Then I think you need to make sure it is really warm and snuggly, lots of bedding, food and water and shut her in there so that she can settle down and realise she is safe (assuming, of course, that it has been properly repaired and she IS safe)

I also assume you will be getting her some more flock mates.....well, maybe sooner rather than later as it will give her something else to focus on. It might be best, if you can, to get individual hens from individual sources, hens that do not know each other already. That way, they will arrive and no-one will have the advantage of numbers and familiarity to cause an instant hierarchy. They will then all need to shuffle for pecking order, rather than an established group moving in and 'ousting' your existing girl from her already broken home xxx

Thank you for your help

There’s not a lot that I can change unfortunately. But will do my best

Since the attack, she has been living in my utility room almost my with 5 baby chicks , almost 2 weeks old. She hasn’t taken to them and has started mothering them. However, she is fine being in with them. :)

I’ll give it another go when I purchase another girl in with week. (I’ll keep chicks inside with me and the brooder for a while yet)

Heartwrenching, knowing that she can remember all of that

She’s a leg horn- she’s a survivor. Our survivor xx

If it's any consolation, she won't be remembering in the sense of the loss of her flock mates and the horror of it, but more the memory of trauma and a threat to her life. It's not an emotional thing for her, more an instinctual thing....to stay away from a place where she almost died. You can overcome that by shutting her in to the coop and making her feel safe again.

It's great that she currently has the company of the chicks, that will help her, but if she is going back outside, be careful of the stress of temperature changes. There is no indicator on your avatar as to where you are located so I do not know your current climate but if it is very cold outside and you have taken her, straight after a very stressful event, and placed her into a warm brooder and now put her back out in the cold, she may well become ill. She may need a more gentle re-acclimatisation to outdoor temperatures xx

If it's any consolation, she won't be remembering in the sense of the loss of her flock mates and the horror of it, but more the memory of trauma and a threat to her life. It's not an emotional thing for her, more an instinctual thing....to stay away from a place where she almost died. You can overcome that by shutting her in to the coop and making her feel safe again.

It's great that she currently has the company of the chicks, that will help her, but if she is going back outside, be careful of the stress of temperature changes. There is no indicator on your avatar as to where you are located so I do not know your current climate but if it is very cold outside and you have taken her, straight after a very stressful event, and placed her into a warm brooder and now put her back out in the cold, she may well become ill. She may need a more gentle re-acclimatisation to outdoor temperatures xx

This makes so much sense. We’re in the South east of England. We brought her in from the snow (during the storm)

Possibly I could keep her inside the summer house for a few days before letting her outside properly?

They’ll be no heat, but will be warmer and more isolated than putting her straight to the coop/garden

I really appreciate all of your kind words and advise x

Attachments

• 0F7A3414-6198-4559-AE89-9FEC30D18CC4.jpeg
    0F7A3414-6198-4559-AE89-9FEC30D18CC4.jpeg
    496.8 KB · Views: 8
  • A1D73630-8778-4B84-B60D-F515F3605CE3.jpeg
    A1D73630-8778-4B84-B60D-F515F3605CE3.jpeg
    370.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 540BE989-E09B-42D0-940D-7A28D4344A1F.jpeg
    540BE989-E09B-42D0-940D-7A28D4344A1F.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 7
This makes so much sense. We’re in the South east of England. We brought her in from the snow (during the storm)

Possibly I could keep her inside the summer house for a few days before letting her outside properly?

They’ll be no heat, but will be warmer and more isolated than putting her straight to the coop/garden

I really appreciate all of your kind words and advise x
Wow she looks really tame for a leghorn

Back
Top Bottom