Fox Thread,share tips

TheTwoRoos

Crowing
Sep 25, 2015
Thread for people having fox issues,I need tips on getting rid of them.My “Fox Issue” originally started years ago,up until my pit bull reached his teen years and became the yard defender,he was the reason the fox issue actually died down,other then oen time when we shot oen.Him and our other dogs were always running through the yard,adventuring the woods,at this point,they didn’t have a choice but to move further out.Well,a few months ago when we would’ve wake up in the mornings we would drive past fox pups literally running across on the side of the road.Ok,a few weeks later my mother hen got attacked and kill and just a few days ago I came home to two missing chickens.At this point,I think I may not have just one,the bird was here yesterday,why would the Ana edit return for another meal,or could it be because the bird took was very small.One if he birds was an easter egger but she was grown,no fetahers from either of these birds,very odd.Just today,their minutes we got attacked again,same spots,atleast where other bird have been attacked,the two bird kill the other day I have absolutely no idea what happen with them.Anywho,the hen attacked today was actually drug away,but,luckily managed to escape and found her way into my yard.I tried wolf pee but it keeps storming and washing it away,have not tried it for weeks now.Now I’m mad,I can’t have them doing this,will be walking property and I pray I run into them,I have a good feeling I know where they are staying.
All tips welcomed and anyone can join.

I am currently working on learning how to set up an electric fence...There is nothing else that will work against foxes if birds are free ranging, unless you have dogs that deter them. I had one fox that actually dug under a wall in my barn to kill a guinea. If I shoot one, another one will just move in, and a fence will also protect against wandering dogs.

Foxes are determined and learn quickly. I have never found a decoy, scent, or any other deterrent that works for more than a few days. Once they realize it's fake they go right on with their business. Patrolling dogs are the best I've found so far, other than .223. Electric fence will be effective, as long as it's spacing is proper and it's maintained. A lot of animals can sense when the wire is hot. As soon as you forget to turn it on, or the grass grows and shorts it out they will realize it and take advantage. For where I live, I shoot any invading predator. But that's not always an option for everyone. Since many attacks occur at night, to me the first defense is a sturdy coop. The more "bombproof" they are when they sleep, the better you'll sleep.

Back
Top Bottom