Fox!

I haven't seen any signs of him coming back. I think the thing that make me lucky is we are in town and I doubt he's starving. We don't really have cats or dogs attacked by foxes either. But I've started lining the outside of the coop with bricks anyhow. Funny thing though, my girls are a lot quieter than they used to be. When I used to let them out to graze they would discuss it , but now they don't have much to say. It's amazing the memory they have. They are not dumb girls, just silly. ;)

Yeay!
ya.gif
I hope he stays away but I would definitely keep the coop lined with bricks better safe than sorry. Foxes operate by stealth and I think they hate to be discovered. The night I saw mine and chased it with a bat it never came back from that day on. I can't help but think in the back of my mind it will be back once it feels the coast is clear again.

I feel the same thing too. I keep looking out the window expecting to see my girls missing with the wire torn out or something. I'm hoping he's gone, but we have more in this area so another could get interested.

There is no scent that will effectively deter foxes. Especially foxes that are around people-inhabited areas. You may trap them easily. Your choices of traps is great if you have no pets in your yard. Foot-hold traps work beautifully. Just Google "trapping foxes" and you'll have enough reading to last a long while.

Live cage traps have been the least effective for me. There are several companies that make serious inexpensive air rifles that would easily dispatch a fox. Quietly!

Well this sucker is taller then my pitbull- scared of dogs and has two cubs in tow, the scat and foot shape are 'fox' (vs the FL coyote a tiny thing and rare in the city) but shes the largest fox I've ever seen, she walks in evenings on the sidewalks and is not shy of open areas... very strange.

Foxes in an urban or suburban setting can be quite brazen around humans. They may not pass you on a sidewalk like some coyotes do but a red fox on prowl will give you little mind if after something. For me, repeat and timely visits are not likely to be realized unless fox makes a catch. I am also having fun with more than one fox. One is trying to catch chickens at night while second will be down in woods howling at same time. The chicken chasing sucker is persistent even when not catching birds and dog loves to chase him. He is trapwise and has not lent himself to being a easy target for rifle as homes are behind him when in range. To use rifle I may have to sit up in sort of some kind of deer stand so will be shooting into ground. Presently I am setting up an elaborate trap of pens and orange construction netting to make so dog might actually being able to catch him. Netting will then be repositioned to provide wind break when temperatures drop for winter.

Back
Top Bottom