Foxes Best way to deal with them Electric Fence??? ( mesh not wire)

leoismydog

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 30, 2008
Well This am i go outside and I have 5 less turkeys then i did last night, there about 7-8 weeks old. Apparently I forgot to close them in after the thunderstorm. My falt i know cant blaim anybody but myself. I check in on them when i got home about 8 pm from work and the coop doors were closed due to the wind so all the turkeys were setting beside there house when i showed up, So i opened the doors for them to go inside and eat drink etc, and would check back in on them in a littlebit. Well i got to cooking dinner and what not and forgot that i didnt get them closed up as i normally do it when i get home. So this am i find 4 turkeys huddeled under the chicken coop. The rest are POOF gone. I see a spot of a few feathers and then see 1 body. The only body i found had its hear ripped off and the guts parshally eaten. So i take the body and rig the one live trap i have with the remenants of the body. About 6 pm that afternoon im at Home depot and i get a call from my neighbor and he says he just saw a fox with one of my turkeys in its mouth run by him, unfortunally he was unarmed at the moment as he would have helped, as were both eliminating predators currently. So now im down to 3 turkey left.
So to the point what the best way to catch foxes and not the rest of the critters. we have been preditor free for a wile but all tractors or cages are locked up tight at night. I would like to free range the turkeys and guineas but a fox at 6pm in broad daylight make me think thats going to be difficult. I think i know the answer to the night time problem and ordered an automattic door thing today for the turkey coop, but what about the day time predator issues, any thoughts.
I looked at the electrofied fencing any body use that for keeping predators out during the daylight hours, or comments on it at all. I found 42" x 165' IIRC for 169.00 that would do a 50x50 area with our other wood fence on 1 side. By the way anybody have polts for sale close to Va Breach.

Quote:
I use coil spring traps to catch fox depending on what kind of fox it is greys can be caught in cage traps I have seen a couple of people on craigs list of late with turkeys for sale I have a friend I will check with and see what he has we have had coyotes move in the last coupla years in the mt pleasant hickory section of chesapeake we are overrun with fox here I caught 35 right here where I live on military hwy .

Thanks I have leg holds, coil spring traps just dont want to catch my turkeys, few i have left or the guinea.

You can get by cheaper than $169.00.

For that size of an area you can get a 2 mile charger for $20.00 at most places. Wire is cheap. If you have an existing fence you can pic up 4" stand off insulators. Put one low (6" off of the ground) and then a couple more 6" apart. You then need to put in 3 ground rods. All of my runs and tractors have electric fences installed on them.

Quote:
I usually walk the perimeter of the land I am trapping and find where the fox is coming onto the land and set the traps near the trails they make this is fairly easy to do with summer grass growing and all cage traps can catch grey fox fairly easily they just need to be large traps reds are much easier in coil springs or #2 double long spring traps

Back
Top Bottom