Foxes going too far

Alicia G

Songster
9 Years
Sep 29, 2010
Nova Scotia
I have a beautiful pair of fox that live near my house. They've gotten two of my ducks in the past, and I blame my self on that part (let them out to free range for a few hours),
But because of that I have only let the birds out when I am watching, until my fence is complete, and it had seemed to work. But yesterday I went to collect the eggs, check that everybody was OK. I heard something, but figured it was one of my dogs, so off I went to my house which is only 100 feet away from my barn, and before I opened the door, I hear screaming, turn around and there are feathers EVERYWHERE. Those buggers were waiting in the bushes, not even 10 feet away from me (that's where I heard the noise) They have no fear of people obviously and I have neighbors tell me they have seen them very close to there homes, cats have gone missing too. So Ive decided to call pest control, because they are WAY too comfortable around people, I mean what if they go after a small child? Many of the cats gone missing were big cats, and my two ducks killed were 10 pounds easy.
Has this sort of situation happened to anybody else?
What did you do?

Predators vary depending on where you are geographically...I live in very rural NH but more "in town" but 1/2 mile up the road where my horse is boarded, the neighbor has had coyotes come in her yard in broad daylight! Clearly the foxes in your case have gone too far, calling Animal Control was the best thing to do....small children are definitely at risk!!! Good Luck and I am so sorry for the loss of your ducks!

I just trapped and dispatched 2 foxes that were coming into a ladies yard whenever she put her pup out she called me when the fox came into the yard when her daughters went out to play

I spent 8 months battling a group of foxes. I finally got the two that broke into the pen a few weeks ago. We couldn't trap them for anything and they would seriously play games with us and the dogs. They aren't afraid of people in the least (a neighbor fed them until recently, he stopped and now they are killing everything around). I have never had so much trouble keeping my animals safe as I did with these foxes, and I still have to worry as there are some 4 left on the abandoned property where they live, not counting any kits. If animal control will help you that's great. Where I am at all they would do is try to trap or tell me to shoot them, I went with option two. Good luck with yours, I hope you catch them before they catch anything else.

I just lost 3 of my sweet chickens to a red fox this week. We had never seen the fox during daylight hours, so I let my girls free range during the day, but I guess because of our week of rain, it was hungry - then this morning it came right up to our back door at 8:30 in the morning! someone mentioned trapping it - which we'd love to give a try, but then what do you do with it? The 3 girls that I have left are so spooked they won't even go out in the predator safe pen - I feel terrible!

We just bought an anatolian shepherd puppy due to foxes. I have to be patient while she grows...then NO MORE FOXES!!!
big_smile.png
smile.png
big_smile.png
lol.png
lol.png
smile.png
big_smile.png
lol.png
cool.png
big_smile.png

Once a fox finds a easy food source they won't let it be. You're gonna have to either invest in good fencing, buried to stop digging or kill / trap them. they not shy and just don't stop and don't care if you're standing there or not.

so will live traps work on foxes? what is the best way to trap them? i lost 2 ducks and 2 chickens for the first time in 3 years- thought it may be a coyote- but sounds alot like foxes...

Back
Top Bottom