Foxes not allowing free-ranging

Thunder344

Crowing
Sep 12, 2020
Stafford, Virginia
Merry Christmas!

For almost 2 years now we have had a fox that would come kill chickens every time we let them free-range. We really want them to be able to free-range. We killed the first fox, and the day after we killed it we let the chickens out again. Thinking it was gone, but sadly it was not. 2 foxes came by and took a hen and injured another. The injured hen is well and happy now. We have kept them cooped up for about a year now, but have yet to see them again. But if we let them out it comes again and takes a couple, as if it has been watching the coop every day. The coop is fox proof.
Any way for them to be able to free-range again without X_X? (dyeing)

Any suggestions welcome!

I have several in my area so actively hunting them is my solution. Use a Bluetooth speaker and your phone. Look up distress calls on you tube.

Its an ongoing issue even if you eliminate them. They have picked that area for living conditions & available food. When they are gone others will eventually move in.

So sorry for your losses. Most predators will lurk watching for an opportunity and it's usually find one when you least expect it, sly like a fox. Electric wires or electric fence is about the only option. Once the predator gets zapped they usually don't try again. I use 2 and 3 wires. This won't work for aerial predators but works pretty well for ground predators. Good luck...
http://www.plamondon.com/wp/faq-simple-electric-fences-chickens/

Merry Christmas!

For almost 2 years now we have had a fox that would come kill chickens every time we let them free-range. We really want them to be able to free-range. We killed the first fox, and the day after we killed it we let the chickens out again. Thinking it was gone, but sadly it was not. 2 foxes came by and took a hen and injured another. The injured hen is well and happy now. We have kept them cooped up for about a year now, but have yet to see them again. But if we let them out it comes again and takes a couple, as if it has been watching the coop every day. The coop is fox proof.
Any way for them to be able to free-range again without X_X? (dyeing)

Any suggestions welcome!
If you really want to free range them learning to trap the foxes would be wise. It’s not the easiest thing to learn but if you plan on keeping chickens for awhile it’s totally worth it and will allow you to free range birds.

Sad to say as you have unfortunately discovered, free ranging is a risk you take and you will loose birds sooner or later. I love my electric wires. I believe the adult predators teach their young that getting zapped isn't worth going after the chickens. I have several game cameras and the predators will stand and look but don't venture very close. Lesson learned. Again, good luck...

I lost my most special bird to a fox during the middle of the day. I was distracted when the fox got her. I did find feathers but never found her body. If only I had left her in her pen when I was distracted. I did trap and eliminate the fox. I had seen a fox at night on my cameras but not during the day. Lesson learned.

Kids are running around with the chickens scattered about. We let them out in the morning and at dusk we lock them up at night.
I think that if you don't want to get an electric fence or dog (and train it to not eat chickens) your only option is to only free range when you're outside. I like to let my girls out in the yard and sit with a good book. This way I'm a deterrent to any predators that are looking for a snack, and I can make sure my girls aren't doing anything naughty (eating paint! I repeat! They! eat! paint!).

Back
Top Bottom