Foxes....our first loss. :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lakeontariochicks, Oct 28, 2010.

1. lakeontariochicks

lakeontariochicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2010
    Lake Ontario, NY
    I should have known yesterday something was around. Our male golden retriever kept barking towards the woods wagging his tail. He normally only barks at squirrels and vultures, never wagging his tail.
    Right before dusk last night, the chickens were making a racket- very unusual for them. They were out free ranging, which we usually do for a couple of hours late afternoon. I walked close enough to see them, they weren't running or acting scared, just noisy. I thought maybe some wanted in the run, and were yelling about having to walk to the end of the run. If I had gone out to the other side of the coop and run, I would have seen what husband did when he went to put them to bed. Feathers....lots of feathers. [​IMG] And then 2 foxes.
    Of course it had to be one of our BO's the sweetest ones. I think she probably thought the foxes were our dogs(to a chicken I suppose foxes and golden retrievers could look a lot alike!)
    Husband will be out today with the chickens and his shotgun.
    What I am wondering about though is electric netting for them. Will a fox jump over it? We really have not had a predator problem at all, but I know there are foxes out there. Probably raccoons too. I just want to be able to leave them out in the run during the day without having to worry about watching them every minute.
    I have seen 42" netting, but should I look for taller? Our fence around the run is 6' chicken wire, and the girls don't try to fly out, but I know that would not keep out a fox.
    I am new to the idea of electric fencing/netting so any suggestions are appreciated!

2. biggin

biggin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    I have never heard of a fox jumping a fence. They usally find a hole or dig under the wire. Never used electic netting, but an electric wire about 6 inches off the ground will discourage them from getting close to the wire. Hope you get it figured out.

3. emarble

emarble Chillin' With My Peeps

Hot Wire works wonders! I have never tried electric netting but will have to look into that! I use an electric fence charger with wire (I use the nylon braided type of wire which has like 10 stainless steel wires braided in) I place the wire at 3 inches 6 inches 12 inches and 18 inches off the ground! this hits almost all catagories of preadators diggers/climbers and even most dogs

ernie

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  4. chickanddoglvr

chickanddoglvr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Cincinnati Oh
    I use it everywere. You can also just run about 5 strands of it all around the chicken run and coop and you shouldn't have a problem ever again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by