Foxes!!!

KiraCookie

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Maine
Ok so we used to have over 20 chickens, but thanks to a fox, we only have 10. Yup. One clever fox. We haven't seen her for a while, but we always hear yipping off in the woods. I think it has kits and it going to bring them here and kill off the rest of my chickens. Do u think it will return, i haven't seen it for a few weeks. Also, do foxes make snarling sounds that sound like a faint chainsaw? Could it have rabies? It was making that noise.?

I would be more concerned with the behavior of the fox than the sounds it makes as far as wondering whether or not it has rabies. If you're concerned about it returning, you might want to shore up your coop/run so it can't get to your chickens. If you free range, you may either want to pen them up for awhile or accept the fact that when your birds are free ranged there will be losses. Your choice. You can try trapping and disposing of the fox (no, I don't mean "re-homing" or relocation) if you feel that's something you can handle. If you set a trap, you need to face the possibility that you will have to kill something. DO NOT set a trap if you can't do that. Instead, make sure your chicken setup is as predator-proof as possible.

Quote:
I know the feeling. Sorry for your losses. You probably haven't seen her for a while because they will bury their kill if they took more than they can eat in a sitting. She will be back. My chickens free range on our 3 acres surrounded by woods and the fox has come right in the yard in broad daylight to get them. They are so pretty but I'm done with them.

Back
Top Bottom