Foxy Loxy..

andythescot

Songster
11 Years
Nov 29, 2009
Central Mass
How does one deter a fox? My mom said she saw one around our run around 7:15, after I left for school, the birds were freaking out, so she let the dog out to chase it.
The problem is, how do I keep it from coming back? I need to put an apron of fencing around the run anyways, so it can't dig under.. but what else can I do?!
Does peeing around the coop work?

See if you can find some Bobcat urine. sold in some garden shops. sprinkle around the area and i think it works well. had a fox in the area and he does not come around anymore. good luck

Quote:
Do not use that if there are bobcat in your area, it is frequently used as a lure to attract bobcats.

That by the way is a problem with any scent produced by a predator, while it may frighten one away it can draw others of its own kind to the scene.

Likewise be careful with what you use for bait. You may get an even worse predator than you are trying to capture and for which your trap won't work on, that unintended predator you attracted may then notice your chickens.

I know in my area foxes are VERY rare.. but we also have raccoons, and there are coyotes that live way far up the street. But we live in a moderately urban area.. So I don't know how much of a problem bobcats will be.

bobcat urine is good for attracting coyotes too . legally in mass I think you all are down to letting a ADC trapper take care of it, me I trap and dispatch all trapping season long after that is over I do not see any preds for 4-7 months then trapping season is almost back

Quote:
A lot of folks don't seem to understand that what frightens one animal can attract others, some of which are as bad as, if not worse than the predator they are trying to scare away.

Massachusetts is totally messed up on wild animal control.

Well if it attracts coyotes... Then I definitely can't use it, since there are chickens, a dog, and about 13 young children running around this joint. And honestly, one fox is a lot better than a pack o' coyotes.
Does human pee work?

And animal control in Massachusetts is humorously annoying.

Back
Top Bottom