Foxy Loxy..

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by andythescot, Dec 13, 2010.

1. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    How does one deter a fox? My mom said she saw one around our run around 7:15, after I left for school, the birds were freaking out, so she let the dog out to chase it.
    The problem is, how do I keep it from coming back? I need to put an apron of fencing around the run anyways, so it can't dig under.. but what else can I do?!
    Does peeing around the coop work?

2. chixx

chixx New Egg

Dec 7, 2010
    See if you can find some Bobcat urine. sold in some garden shops. sprinkle around the area and i think it works well. had a fox in the area and he does not come around anymore. good luck

3. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:Do not use that if there are bobcat in your area, it is frequently used as a lure to attract bobcats.

That by the way is a problem with any scent produced by a predator, while it may frighten one away it can draw others of its own kind to the scene.

Likewise be careful with what you use for bait. You may get an even worse predator than you are trying to capture and for which your trap won't work on, that unintended predator you attracted may then notice your chickens.

4. andythescot

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    I know in my area foxes are VERY rare.. but we also have raccoons, and there are coyotes that live way far up the street. But we live in a moderately urban area.. So I don't know how much of a problem bobcats will be.

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    bobcat urine is good for attracting coyotes too . legally in mass I think you all are down to letting a ADC trapper take care of it, me I trap and dispatch all trapping season long after that is over I do not see any preds for 4-7 months then trapping season is almost back

6. kkaymci55

kkaymci55 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2008
    Puyallup, Washington
    I use Premier electric fencing for my birds. It does work well. The only thing it will not protect against is overhead predators such as hawks, eagles, owls

7. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:A lot of folks don't seem to understand that what frightens one animal can attract others, some of which are as bad as, if not worse than the predator they are trying to scare away.

Massachusetts is totally messed up on wild animal control.

8. andythescot

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    Well if it attracts coyotes... Then I definitely can't use it, since there are chickens, a dog, and about 13 young children running around this joint. And honestly, one fox is a lot better than a pack o' coyotes.
    Does human pee work?

And animal control in Massachusetts is humorously annoying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by