FR - 6 weeks, right size?

HillCountryMomma

Songster
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
My Freedom Rangers turned 6 weeks old yesterday.

They are round, stout birds, but not huge monster birds. I have a hard time imagining that in the next three weeks they'll balloon up to butchering size (I'd like 5-6 lb dressed weights)!

I'm starting to think that maybe I'm feeding them wrong.

I'm feeding them Dumor (Tractor Supply) 20% chick starter because it's the only non-medicated chick feed I can find locally. No broiler feed anywhere that I've seen, so that's really my only option.

I feed 2x a day, and there's usually feed left over from the prior feeding. I've started throwing them some cracked corn to play with as well. Most of the Rangers are out in a tractor that gets moved 2x a day, so they have fresh greens to pick at as well (and they eat EVERYTHING green in the tractor that they deem edible). They're roughly the same size as my 10 week old layer pullets, but broader. I'd get a weight, but my kids drowned my scale trying to help wash it.
roll.png

Anyway, I'm getting tired of feeding these darn birds!! Please tell me that they put on a big growth spurt at the end. I need a light at the end of the tunnel! I have 44 of them, gonna keep a few pullets and the rest are going in the freezer. I can't wait till I can go back to just maintaining my layer flock.

Liz

5-6 lbs dressed (7-8lbs live-weight) would be about 8 weeks for a Cornish X, and these grow slower than the Cornish X.

I would think you'd have to wait 9-10 weeks.

We butchered ours at 11 weeks and got 7lb birds. It seems their growth slows down a bit and then all of a sudden they start gaining weight again. I too was got tired of waiting for them to get huge. It was definitely worth the wait. So much more meat.

Thanks Y'all!!

I'll try to just stand by and be patient (not one of my virtues!).

I knew I'd have to wait until 9/10 weeks to get a decent size bird, but ugh... the wait here at the end is killing me!

They sure do eat enough to be big fat birds!

Liz

Back
Top Bottom