Framing with screws or nails???

For what you are doing nails are fine. I know there are people that like to use screws, but it's really not needed for an in place coop. We do use screws for any kind of portable structure we build around here because nail construction pulls apart much faster when stressed that way, but I don't think you need to go to the extra time or expense for your coop. Happy building, it sure feels good when it's done and the chooks move in!

If you're having to drill pilot holes in *pine*, you're using the wrong type of screw.

For just holding two pieces together (shear strength not important), which is the case for most framing, deck screws are excellent. They are aggressively threaded and zip right in with no pilot hole or anything like that. Very fast. They do cost a bit more, but really the difference compared to the cost of the whole coop is minimal
tongue.png
Also they are coated thus pretty good'n'rustproof, as opposed to common zinc-plated screws which are really not intended for outdoors.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
I used nails on most of my projects, my brother came up to build a deerstand with screws and brought a cordless drill. It lasted for about a dozen screws, then died. So I got out my old wood brace hand crank, installed a screwbit in it and built the rest of the stand with hand power---amazing, the hand crank brace was driving the screws faster and deeper then the cordless drill.

As I've been going along building this..

P0014919.jpg

I've used nothing but galvanized screws of either 3" length or 1.5" depending on what I'm joining.
My wife thinks I am WAY overkilling this build, but I want to build it once and not worry about it for years~

To use the 3" screws, I've got a battery operated drill so I pre drill about an inch in with that, then drive the screw in with a corded electric drill that has a phillips bit in it.
No splits, and just as fast as hammering in a nail for me.. (the battery oprated lasts all day easily just doing pre drills, its an 18V Ryobi)

For the smaller screws I don't pre drill.. I just drive them in.

Like others have said, nails will work.. I'm just more comfortable with screws.

Last edited:
If you actually have to get a building permit, screws wont do. They have no shear strength. The framing should be done with nails... That's easy for me to say, I have a nail gun
wink.png

Nail gun with hot dipped galvanized 3.25" nails is the ticket for me. When I do use screws, they are galvanized square drive screws driven with my Makita 18V impact driver.

The comment about screws not having shear strength is correct.

Back
Top Bottom