Free Feed or not for Indian Runner Ducks

FNF

Chirping
Jul 2, 2023
Hello - I am expecting three Indian Runner Ducklings this week. I think I have a handle on the duckling plan. When they are old enough, I plan to move them to their duck house which is in a large fenced-in pasture (shared with two emus). Initially they'll have their own smaller fenced in area within that pasture, and the duck house has a small enclosed run attached for a little additional space, water, etc. My question is regarding feeding them once they are living outside - is it better to leave feed for them to have access 24/7 (in addition to whatever they forage) or would it be better to feed them twice per day (plus forage), particularly as a way to encourage them to come back in the evening? And if feeding on a schedule, how much is recommended for three females?

I have 4 runners and 9 regular kinds of ducks sharing yard with chickens... I actually do both.. . They have Nutrena All flock pellets always available, and twice a day (morning and evening) I toss some Mazuri waterfowl feed into a water bucket. I kind of got used to how much they eat in about 5 minutes so thats about how much I give them of the waterfowl feed on the water, otherwise it soaks and gets soggy. What do you plan on feeding them? There should be instructions on the bag as to how much to feed to give per pound of duck.. my runners weigh about 3 lbs ea.. maybe you can weigh one of yours?

I have 4 runners and 9 regular kinds of ducks sharing yard with chickens... I actually do both.. . They have Nutrena All flock pellets always available, and twice a day (morning and evening) I toss some Mazuri waterfowl feed into a water bucket. I kind of got used to how much they eat in about 5 minutes so thats about how much I give them of the waterfowl feed on the water, otherwise it soaks and gets soggy. What do you plan on feeding them? There should be instructions on the bag as to how much to feed to give per pound of duck.. my runners weigh about 3 lbs ea.. maybe you can weigh one of yours?
Thank you, that's a good compromise. Ultimately I do plan to feed them Mazuri but since I won't need it for several weeks I haven't ordered it yet. I would expect they'd be about that same size as yours.

Back
Top Bottom