Free feed

Paco

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
Enid,Ok
My grandpa works at a pig farmer here locally and when they feed the hogs there somtimes the feeders spill over. He likes to collect this feed and give it to me for the chickens, but it pig feed it cant be good for chickens can it?

you would have to find out whats in it. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt much as long as it wasn't their primary diet. I would guess it to be high in protein. I have given mini-pig pellets as a treat to mine. they loved it.

the pig feed should be very good for your chickens...you will need to supplement oyster shell for calcium but the feed is close depends on what type of hogs they are feeding..and how much protein and how much fat it will contain...if it is too much corn you might take it and mix more protein..

When I had hogs, I fed 20% swine feed to them along with grocery store procuce waste. So the hog feed should be good... like someone else said, you'll need to suppliment calcium.

I'd seriously watch out for what is in it. A lot of pigs are fed simply things like corn meal or high protein grains, and chickens shouldn't have either. So first ask what the feed is, then go from there.
smile.png

Quote:
It seems to me that is precisely what the vast majority of all poultry feed is made of in the U.S.

Of course corn meal or any other sort of grains by themselves is not a complete feed for poultry, but neither is it for swine. It all has to be properly balanced.

I buy grain from 2 sources. The label on one only lists "grain by products" and the list of vitamins and minerals. My other source specifically lists each type of grain separately, and then the vitamins and minerals. Is one better than the other? Not sure. Which one am I more comforable with? The last one. I do like to know specifically what's going in. If the hogs are only getting this one feed it will be a complete feed. Now this gives me another question for my delivery guy--he runs the feed company.
wink.png

Quote:
'by products' are the waste left over from ingredients used in higher quality feeds.Such as when chicken 'by products' are listed on dog food.The byproducts are everything else.The feet,beaks,bones,etc all ground up and processed in the food.they also use alot of the 3D's.Dead dying diseased.Animal feed manufacturing is becoming horrible.Cutting corners and everywhere else they can.Check into it and find out whats in the feed.

Back
Top Bottom