Many free floating embryos?

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
I just candled day 4, and think I only have 2/12 😞. Most of the eggs had embryos with veins that were freely floating inside the egg (following the direction I turned the egg). Does this mean they are quitters?

Any idea what would cause so many eggs to begin developing and then stop (or not attach?) I’m a newbie, this is only my 2nd full incubation experience, but last time I hatched 100% of my locally purchased eggs, and had maybe 5-6 quitters from the 22 of my own eggs. This go round I have 12 locally purchased eggs (from a different farm than last time).

I’m using an NR 360. Not calibrated, only been used 3 times. 99.5 degrees & 46-48% humidity.

Can anyone share what they use to calibrate the NR360? With this amount of loss o definitely want to do that before my next hatch. Thanks!

I just candled day 4, and think I only have 2/12 😞. Most of the eggs had embryos with veins that were freely floating inside the egg (following the direction I turned the egg). Does this mean they are quitters?
Was there a dark ring around and the embryos?
If not, you have nothing to worry about. In the early stages they can freely float and the egg.
Can anyone share what they use to calibrate the NR360? With this amount of loss o definitely want to do that before my next hatch. Thanks!
@Tumbleweedlynn, could you help with this one?

Here is a day 4 for my duck egg
When I turn the egg that yolk and the veins in it turn

Attachments

• CB8D74CE-CDD9-4185-A4FA-BC0B2E5B7EC6.png
    CB8D74CE-CDD9-4185-A4FA-BC0B2E5B7EC6.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
If not, you have nothing to worry about. In the early stages they can freely float and the egg.

Hi there! I’m not familiar with duck eggs, but from what YouTube showed me, the egg looks like where it should be

I use a Govee hydrometer and a medical thermometer to calibrate. You can get both on Amazon. I hope it all goes well!

I think one may have had the ring. Some are dark eggs and harder to see. I’ve had 2 other sets of eggs that I candled on day 3, and I’m those eggs the embryo & veins stayed in 1 place. I’m glad to hear they can float around.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I did not take any videos of the floaters, but I did candle again on day 6, and was much more pleased with the results. This time the embryos were fixed in 1 place. They jiggled a bit, but remained fixed. On day 4, they would float to the top of the egg as I rotated it. On day 4 I only had 2 out of 12 that I was confidant were developing, but after day 6 I have 7 that I'm confident about. My next candling will be on the 5th or 6th. I did attach a couple videos from day 6.

Back
Top Bottom